Help, IT-savvy people!

So last night, I'm chatting to someone on gmail, when everything freezes for no apparent reason. So I restart; the beep the computer usually makes goes on for longer, and it logs on normally.

Normally? Well, except for the problem of the screen not picking up any signal, leaving me very highly irritated. I'm typing this on a mate's laptop in between sending inquisitive emails to every variety of IT support.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong, and if I can fix it somehow?
Not a computer expert but it could be faulty drivers for the screen or your graphics card is dead. I had a similar problem, the screen froze and would click itself out and then turn itself off.

My graphics card burnt out and a capacitor had leaked... So check your graphics card.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Check this out, when you startup your system, count the beeps/length of the beeps, and you should be able to locate the problem using the charts. The system performs a POST (power on self test), usually (depending on your BIOS software), a single beep indicates an OK system, you say you get a single long beep?
Well I usually get a single quick one. This one goes on a little longer, maybe a just under a second. It also... sort of... falters half way through. So I get *bee-eep*. It sounds really irregular.
Sorry to double post, but I've opened it up. I'm reluctant to detach anything, as all I know is what everything is... I don't want to mess anything up.

Is there anything really obvious I should look for on the card? Or anything else?
Quote by webbtje
Sorry to double post, but I've opened it up. I'm reluctant to detach anything, as all I know is what everything is... I don't want to mess anything up.

Is there anything really obvious I should look for on the card? Or anything else?

Burnt out or leaking components... Check that its in properly.. Switch it on and go to BIOS and check the running temperatures... I cant remember how to do this and every computer has a different way of checking. Sorry if Im not being all that helpful.

Look for that, (sorry if Im being patronising) and check the capacitors and see if they are leaking or burnt out (you need a continuity meter I think to check for burnt out components though).
Feel free to patronize. My knowledge is minimal

I should point out that the screen doesn't even show BIOS. It just stays blank.
Quote by webbtje
Feel free to patronize. My knowledge is minimal

I should point out that the screen doesn't even show BIOS. It just stays blank.

That tells me one thing:

The card is dead. Well, I could be wrong but really, if its not showing anything then the card has stopped working and you need a new one.

Edit:

You could take it out and put it in another computer and see if it works. If it does then its the motherboard or the power supply unit sending out the wrong voltage. (My old computer's PSU burnt all the components out... Fried ma circuitz).

[Must reinforce: I am no computer expert ]
Last edited by Guitardude19 at May 1, 2008,
Which tells me one thing: *four letter word*

I have reinstalled graphics drivers before though, when I did a system restore ages ago. The graphics still showed up, if laggy and awful, even if (as I understand it) the graphics card wasn't being used, until I installed them. So, in my deep, dark, twisted heart, I'm going to keep hope.