I've got Elixir strings on my Ibanez bass, they came with it, and within like 2 weeks they started going all fluffy, I'm assuming it's this magical anti-rust coating flaking or something but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else??
What do you mean with "fluffy"? I've used elixir strings for two years now and that has never happened to me. It could be badly made strings, it could also be that your fingers leave a lot of grease.
Dude, i've been playing with elixers for about 5 years on all 4 of my guitars...What are you talking about "fluffy"? Do you clean your strings after you play???
Well like kinda white stuff started peeling off around the strings, like fraying. It's never happened with normal strings.
elixirs are a gimmick. besides feeling nice, the rubber coating comes off where you pick, and makes a mess. not to mention, once you wear through the rubber youre left with a "weak spot" on the string where it is unprotected, and most likely will break. i hate them, and use DR's if i want something that lasts.

so TS, you are not alone.
For some they work great for others meh. They break alot and I mean alot for me. And its not my guitar as they did it on all my guitars and different strings each time. I had to buy 2 sets and use the second set to replace broken strings. It was everyday one would break. I went back to ddarrios havent had a string break since then. And I noticed a drop in tone with the coating. So for some they work great other than that they are just an overpriced gimmick.
I used some on my electrics and didnt get on with them very well!! but i wont use anything else on my acoustics. I swear by them for that!!
Horrible gimmick. I play fast type metal and these strings do get "fluffy" and fall apart. They sound great the first day, after that, meh. DR's FTW.
Now, on my acoustic, the coating does wear off where i strum and you can definitely notice...maybe it's because I do more strumming on the acoustic, and lighter strumming/picking on my electrics...
I used to use Elixirs (the blue nanoweb ones) and I really liked them. But they're not £4 better than D'addarios or Rotosounds so I use those now to save myself some money.

The Elixirs on the acoustics at my college get "fluffy" fairly easily, those are the purple ones.

It's a mystery.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Mine fray where i pick but on the fretting hand side they feel silky smooth still. I've tried DR extra life and all manner of ErnieBalls i've also tried D'addarios. SO far the elixirs beat them all on feel.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
In general, the more acid in your sweat there is, the faster the coating breaks down. I never liked them as they felt odd, and they tend to slip in Floyd saddles, As said, they aren't worth the extra coin.
Quote by CJRocker
In general, the more acid in your sweat there is, the faster the coating breaks down. I never liked them as they felt odd, and they tend to slip in Floyd saddles, As said, they aren't worth the extra coin.

Yea, different strings and coatings react differently to different people's body chemistry.