This I would place into the "No shit Sherlock" category.
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/addiction/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100202148&GT1=31033
It just makes me wonder who finances this stuff.
I think I'll apply for a grant to verify that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
Oh and coffee wakes you up.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
They just need to write SOMETHING. If they can't come up with anything better, they'll settle for the obvious.

EDIT: It appears the worst thing for a company is having their site not updated.
"You're less likely to feel afraid, and you're also less likely to run away or to avoid conflict," said Hommer, chief of the section on brain imaging at the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.''

What I read:

"You're less likely to feel afraid, and you're also less likely to run away or to avoid conflict," said Homer, chief of the section on brain imaging at the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.''

And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
yeah, it annoys me how these so-called "experts" take the time to figure out what everyone already knows, then it becomes "news".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
yeah, it annoys me how these so-called "experts" take the time to figure out what everyone already knows, then it becomes "news".

yeah, and like Quail said, they needed something... probably were in a rush for an article
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
like the time I had too many and didn't like the way a pole was looking at me... The pole won but I had no fear!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Ill post a picture later. its a screenshot from the same website: "Report: Rich are better off than poor" or something like that
sup?
Quote by DieGarbageMan

You're a funny guy. Stick to tetris.

Quote by Mister.Y
"You're less likely to feel afraid, and you're also less likely to run away or to avoid conflict," said Hommer, chief of the section on brain imaging at the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.''

What I read:

"You're less likely to feel afraid, and you're also less likely to run away or to avoid conflict," said Homer, chief of the section on brain imaging at the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.''

I saw the same thing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It could be worse.

"Sex linked to pregnancy recent study shows"
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
It could be worse.

sup?
Quote by Jackal58
This I would place into the "No shit Sherlock" category.
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/addiction/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100202148&GT1=31033
It just makes me wonder who finances this stuff.
I think I'll apply for a grant to verify that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
Oh and coffee wakes you up.

"This helps us understand a little more about how the brain works, and how alcohol functions as a drug in the brain," Hommer said..........................Hommer said researchers are thinking about other possible studies. "The one thing that might immediately be useful is that you may be able to use this as a way to test out drugs designed to decrease people's tendency to abuse alcohol."

The researchers are already testing their approach in people who are heavy drinkers to see if there is any difference in how they react to alcohol, Hommer said. "People become tolerant to some of the effects of alcohol with repeated use, and we want to see if we can see that" in the brain.
It's not as if the study was entirely without merit, the external effects of alcohol are well known, they were just confirming and ALSO detecting the physiological and Neurological mechanism behind the outwardly visible response.
Awesome! I needed a health article for health class, and here one is!
Quote by TheQuailman
They just need to write SOMETHING. If they can't come up with anything better, they'll settle for the obvious.

"Obvious" doesn't always mean something is correct. Until the 70's/80's, homosexuality was "obviously" a mental disorder. That is definitely not the case today. Also, the world used to "obviously" be flat; let's not forget that the world was once "obviously" the center of the universe.

The point here is that the results of this study have been "dumbed down" so that people who don't know anything about it can understand it. They are leaving out technical information such as how the amygdala was affected by the alcohol, shown through the brain scans.

The function of the study was not to find out whether fear affected by alcohol, but, using advanced imaging techology, how alcohol affects specific parts of the brain.

Small, "obvious" studies like these often tend to be precursors to very important ones down the road.
Quote by TheCD
"Obvious" doesn't always mean something is correct. Until the 70's/80's, homosexuality was "obviously" a mental disorder. That is definitely not the case today. Also, the world used to "obviously" be flat; let's not forget that the world was once "obviously" the center of the universe.

The point here is that the results of this study have been "dumbed down" so that people who don't know anything about it can understand it. They are leaving out technical information such as how the amygdala was affected by the alcohol, shown through the brain scans.

The function of the study was not to find out whether fear affected by alcohol, but, using advanced imaging techology, how alcohol affects specific parts of the brain.

Small, "obvious" studies like these often tend to be precursors to very important ones down the road.

Exactly.

That's how science works. Even if something is commonly held to be true, so much that it's "obviously true", that claim still has to be tested. Otherwise it's nothing more than anecdotal.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Before the page loaded, I saw the title and thought, No fucking shit Sherlock as well.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Rocking-Rob
This is why its much harder to get a PhD in physics than biology

The majority of PhDs are effectively taught anyway these days. Most of them basically involve doing the scut work for someone who already has a PhD, and will be listed as the main author of anything you publish while 'studying' with them.
Quote by MightyAl
The majority of PhDs are effectively taught anyway these days. Most of them basically involve doing the scut work for someone who already has a PhD, and will be listed as the main author of anything you publish while 'studying' with them.
In what field? Biologists have to complete an almost independent original piece of research. The only input they get is a starting reference to get them going, advice from other members of the group on experiments they've never done before and maybe the odd outside opinion on results.
Quote by freedoms_stain
In what field? Biologists have to complete an almost independent original piece of research. The only input they get is a starting reference to get them going, advice from other members of the group on experiments they've never done before and maybe the odd outside opinion on results.

It certainly happens in chemistry. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened in everything else, because all the lab assistants(ie PhD students wanting extra cash) appeared to be near brain dead, and incapable of answering a simple question without reference to a technician or lecturer.
Quote by MightyAl
It certainly happens in chemistry. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened in everything else, because all the lab assistants(ie PhD students wanting extra cash) appeared to be near brain dead, and incapable of answering a simple question without reference to a technician or lecturer.
on completion of a phd you are supposed to be the "world expert" on the subject of your phd. Phd students study very very specifically on one area of chemistry/biology//physics, they're not supposed to be all knowing gods of the entire spectrum of topics covered by such a broad term as "chemistry". True it seems a bit ridiculous that someone with a 2:1 or a 1st doesn't know what's going on in an undergraduate lab, but if you're doing a phd on chemical interactions between two proteins or whatever things like titrating the brown stuff until it goes clear kind of gets pushed into the back of your brain out of the way.
N=12?

come on people, thats weak by anyones standards.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by freedoms_stain
on completion of a phd you are supposed to be the "world expert" on the subject of your phd. Phd students study very very specifically on one area of chemistry/biology//physics, they're not supposed to be all knowing gods of the entire spectrum of topics covered by such a broad term as "chemistry". True it seems a bit ridiculous that someone with a 2:1 or a 1st doesn't know what's going on in an undergraduate lab, but if you're doing a phd on chemical interactions between two proteins or whatever things like titrating the brown stuff until it goes clear kind of gets pushed into the back of your brain out of the way.

I'm aware of that. However, my brothers ex, who now HAS a chemistry PhD, used to complain that she spent ALL day EVERY day following the instructions of her supervisor.
Hardly sounds like her own original research.
Quote by MightyAl
I'm aware of that. However, my brothers ex, who now HAS a chemistry PhD, used to complain that she spent ALL day EVERY day following the instructions of her supervisor.
Hardly sounds like her own original research.
There's two types of supervisor though, the hands on type and the hands off.

Hands on will be over your shoulder all the time telling you what to do, hands off will pawn you off on another post grad and check on your progress every now and then.

It also kind of depends on how much they care about your project. If it's critical to the success of the group in general they'll be more keen to make sure you don't **** it up, but if it's a "it'd be nice to have this done, but we're not that bothered" project then you'll probably get less attention.
Quote by freedoms_stain
There's two types of supervisor though, the hands on type and the hands off.

Hands on will be over your shoulder all the time telling you what to do, hands off will pawn you off on another post grad and check on your progress every now and then.

It also kind of depends on how much they care about your project. If it's critical to the success of the group in general they'll be more keen to make sure you don't **** it up, but if it's a "it'd be nice to have this done, but we're not that bothered" project then you'll probably get less attention.

meh, the only reason I'd want a PhD would be to go along with changing my name to Colossus.
For obvious reasons.
And here I was going out drinking so I could sit in the corner and cry, now I can be sociable whilst enjoying alchohol!
Quote by Guitardude19
It could be worse.

Lol,

Studies show 100% of divorces start with marriage.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by MightyAl
meh, the only reason I'd want a PhD would be to go along with changing my name to Colossus.
For obvious reasons.
lol, very obvious. I think I'm going to stay away from academic science. Even the most successful academics are earning not much more than mid level industrial scientists.
Quote by freedoms_stain
lol, very obvious. I think I'm going to stay away from academic science. Even the most successful academics are earning not much more than mid level industrial scientists.

The down side with industry is they expect results.
I know this to be true, because Ray says so in Ghostbusters.
Quote by MightyAl
The down side with industry is they expect results.
I know this to be true, because Ray says so in Ghostbusters.
I know this to be true cus I worked for industry But results can be good or bad. In the end a negative result is as good as a positive result, especially if it occurs earlier in the process and saves the company money in the long run.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I know this to be true cus I worked for industry But results can be good or bad. In the end a negative result is as good as a positive result, especially if it occurs earlier in the process and saves the company money in the long run.

But industry doesn't really allow you to 'test' hawt students for ESP or whatever and accidenatlly hit on them.
Is it obvious that i saw Ghostbusters earlier this week?
Quote by MightyAl
But industry doesn't really allow you to 'test' hawt students for ESP or whatever and accidenatlly hit on them.
Is it obvious that i saw Ghostbusters earlier this week?
lol. This is true, however the company I worked for had many many hot students and recent grads etc to choose from.
I used to get this science magazine, and every year, they'd have a bit called "Science Confirms the Obvious." This would have made it on there, methinks.
how does less fear lead to aggression?
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)