I'm the lead guitar player in a NWOBHM/ Prog outfit (Think Maiden and Pink Floyd) and I'm going through a massive gear upgrade. My Carvin Legacy has been ordered and should be here in a about a week. Now I'm gonna need something to get that push over the cliff (the knobs don't go to 11). I know that Vai, the designer of the amp, uses a DS-1 for his Legacy (don't know if his is modded, I would imagine it is). Now I'm no Vai clone (I got chops but I ain't got Vai chops!!) I just really like that amp. I was thinking of getting an MXR Zakk Wylde OD or a Boss Super OD or an Ibanez TS. Does anyone have one of these or something better to recomend?

EDIT: I did have a boss super OD before but I got rid of that 8 years ago and do not recall what it sounds like and never used it with a high quality amp.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Firstly the Legacy has gain on tap; you won't need an OD to push it over the edge. Secondly if you were to go for one I'd go with a tubescreamer of some kind like the Ibanez one or a Maxon OD808 or similar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know the Legacy has gain on tap, this is just for a boost when needed, like going into a big solo section.

Great username by the way, is the two head thing working out for you?
Last edited by ValoRhoads at May 1, 2008,
Quote by ValoRhoads
I know the Legacy has gain on tap, this is just for a boost when needed, like going into a big solo section.

Well for a solo boost I'd go for somethign a bit different: the OD/TS idea only really works if you're using a low-gain sound and want a gain boost for your solo but if you're already using a lot of gain then your best bet is to get a good clean boost (BBE Boosta Grande, MXR Clean Boost etc...), throw it in the effects loop and set it so you get a good boost for you solos; that way you get your boost to get heard without actually changing your tone at all.

If you still want an OD I say Maxon OD808.

Two heads only works so well though; arguments can get a bit...interesting...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That's some sound advice sir, Thank you!