I'm looking at the Boss HR-2 to add a 5th to a single note; playing powerchords with one note, actually. The Boss HR-2 has a knob that lets you choose what key you're playing in and it responds to that in the harmony.

...am I overlooking something, or is the key to the piece totally irrelevant if you just add 5ths?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
No, in a major key the 7th is actually a half-diminished chord and therefore has a flat fifth so if you're being truly diatonic you need to take that into account.

Edit: In a minor key it's the second.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if you are just adding a note to form a power chord the key would be irrelevant it just needs to be a constant 7 semi tones above
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by plbrynt
if you are just adding a note to form a power chord the key would be irrelevant it just needs to be a constant 7 semi tones above

Yes but it's not just powerchords; it's a harmony in fifths which means you need to have the tritone on the 7th/2nd depending on the tonality.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
true.. i was under the impression we were after a power chord tho..

also theres nothing wrong with a non-diatonic harmony occasionally, plenty of uses
Quote by plbrynt

also theres nothing wrong with a non-diatonic harmony occasionally, plenty of uses

Well yes but your common-or-garden harmonizer can't deal with it; you need to spend serious cash for that kind of thing.

Anyway; i think the TS has the purpose of the thing wrong, he thinks it's for one finger powerchords whereas I'm guessing it's for harmonizing single note lines in fifths.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by plbrynt

yes but it won't get powerchords if he sets it to a certain key. It'll harmonise within the key and the 7th/2nd will be a flat 5th rather than the normal 5th that he's looking for.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well yes but your common-or-garden harmonizer can't deal with it; you need to spend serious cash for that kind of thing.

Anyway; i think the TS has the purpose of the thing wrong, he thinks it's for one finger powerchords whereas I'm guessing it's for harmonizing single note lines in fifths.

looks like hes bu&&*^% off and left us guessing
(one fingered power chords does seem lazy isnt that what drop D is for)
I didn't bugger off, thank you, but I was at work where the oppurtunities to raid UG aren't plenty.

Anyway, yea, I know that the main use of the pedal is to harmonize melodies, solos, Lizzy, Maiden, and the like - but I was wondering if it'll just do the powerchord thing too (it's because of some wierd **** in some of our songs; I'm trying out something involving adding fifths and distortion into a second amp).

Because I'm missing something; I thought the fifth was the same in major and minor; and that it would not make a difference because of that.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
The pedal is an intelligent harmonizer, which means that it will only play notes whith the key to which you set it. Say you set it to Am. When you play A, it will harmonize with a note a perfect 5th above it, E. When you play G, it will harmonize with a note a perfect 5th above it, D. When you play B, the note a 5th above it it F#. It will lower that F# to F to remain in the scale, chaning the interval from a perfect fifth to a diminished fifth to stay in key.

This works better with thirds and 6ths. If you play a B note during your Am (or C) lick, it will put a nasty tritone in there. You may be able to have it harmonize pure in parallel fifths, but I'm not familiar enough with the pedal to tell you what to do; read the instructions.
Ahh that makes everything sooo clear.

...and that's one hell of an intelligent pedal. I'll try and find out about the straight fifths.

bangoodcharlote = king
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
bangoodcharlote = king
I'm a chick, but thanks for the thought.

Edit: On this note, is there any female equivalent of King? Queen doesn't work for me. And what about God? Goddess seems to mean more about physical appearance than power.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm a chick, but thanks for the thought.

Edit: On this note, is there any female equivalent of King? Queen doesn't work for me. And what about God? Goddess seems to mean more about physical appearance than power.

Still, you = king. It's the same with God, and mayor, and plumber, it works for both. I wasn't implying you ruled any country, now, did I (if I would, Queen would perhaps been the more appropriate).

Although women would probably run countries better than we do
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73