So i have no idea about this stuff but me and me band want to record ouselves
So what gear
I have seen some of those recorders that record straight on to cds and think that would be best.
So what is good and do we need a pa and the like
thanks
Apple MAC, cables, mics, songs........ DONE! Most recording is done using computers these days and on the MAC there is a program that makes recording rather easy. It's called Garage Band, basically you just plug and play, mix and master. I've been working with it for a few months and I love it! And literally all you need is instruments, mics and cables.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
What exactly are you going to record? A whole band? You singing + an acoustic guitar? Congas? Full-on metal drumkits with double bass and a ton of toms? Without knowing this, whatever we say will be a shot in the dark.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
two guitarists, me bass, drummer, two microphones that sort of thing so any ideas
An eight microphone interface (ART Tubefire 8 or Presonus Firestudio Project or FP10...the former has nicer preamps and meters), you record drums, then the bass, then the guitarists, finally the vocalists. For the eight microphones...you can try a drum kit...the Samson's good for the price (CO1's are quite good on vocals), then buy two SM57's for the guitar.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
You need an 8 input interface if you will be recording a drum set with 8 mics or if you want to record a full band live.

It will be firewire since thats the type of connection that can handle all those tracks in one take.

Interfaces you were suggested:
PreSonus FP10
PreSonus FireStudio Project

Some mics to look into are the Shure SM57, and MXL 990/991

And MTRs, (Multi track recorders)...they are fine but expensive, Its best to go with an interface which you use with a desktop or very good laptop computer. You have unlimited tracks and overall a better setup for the money.

Whats your budget?

Look though Tweak's Guide linked in my sig.
i suppose 700-1000 at the most cheaper is better cause it will tak eme a while to get all of the stuff

Edit
is there any free software i can download so i can get one of those things and then plug it all into a computer and record it like that at all. all i want is a small setup
Last edited by fatgoogle at May 3, 2008,
Look for Audacity or Reaper.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.