why the hell does dimarzio make their pickups with such impossibly thin lead wiring? i've now stripped the wires down so far that they don't reach the pots and switches. i'm thinking of replacing the wire with standard gauge (22 i think). will this alter the tone of the pickup though?
That shouldn't change the tone at all. And by the way, I love Dimarzios but I've noticed the wire is a bit thin as well!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
nope not unless you used a really really long piece of wire
Shut up and play your guitar!
your tone will not change at all. its not really all that thin, you just have to not suck at soldering.

they make it thin so that you can wire 2-3 way mini toggle switches easily. if you were wiring one of those, im sure your next post would be "WHY ARE THE NOTCHES SO SMALL ON MINI TOGGLE SWITCHES?!?!?!"
fight the power that be
Quote by sethp
why the hell does dimarzio make their pickups with such impossibly thin lead wiring?
They don't. Thousands of people have installed diMarzios sucessfully. Your skills are obviously poor. Work on that, rather than ranting about diMarzio.

Quote by sethp
i've now stripped the wires down so far that they don't reach the pots and switches.
That doesn't surprise me. You've been practicing your mistakes. Something had to give.

Quote by sethp
i'm thinking of replacing the wire with standard gauge (22 i think). will this alter the tone of the pickup though?
Yes. If you REPLACE the wire by disassembling the pickup and soldering new wires to replace the old ones, it's likely you'll damage the pickups permanently. This can be done successfully, but you've made a mess of things thus far. There's little reason to think you won't botch this, too.

PRACTICE your soldering on junk parts and such, until you gain some skills, or just take it to a shop and have it done for you. Or continue with your little catastrophes. w/e
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^SYK is right there, its not the wire, its your soldering
however, as for new leads, a quick fix is to solder extra wire onto whatever remains of the leads
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ This can get ugly, though. Over time the joints can give, plus it looks ugly and if you need to thread it through a hole at some point, forget about it.

BTW, Where ya been, SYK? It's been awhile since I've seen you around the GB&C.
^thats why i said its a "quick fix". basically, those pups are screwed in the long run...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
You get these plastic things for wiring car stereos, They're like little white boxes, about a centimeter long, and they have two screws in the top, and a metal plate running through them. You put your two lengths of wire's ends you want to join in each side, underneath the screws, then tighten the screws to join the two bits of wire through the bit of metal mentioned eariler. Has any one else seen these?

I was thinking, if there's space in your cavaty (and there should be, i think, at least for small ones) These might be a safer alternative. Soldering two bits of wire together is far more difficult and messy than soldering them to switches and stuff.