so i'm thinkin about getting a midi controller. i saw one on craigslist for 30 so i figured what the hell. it's an m-audio oxygen 8. do i just plug this thing in to the usb slot and go into my recording program and, besides the actually recording, thats it?
Last edited by !!Dope Man!! at May 1, 2008,
hm, i already have an audio interface and it sounds good, but then again that overrides my sound card right? i would plug into that but there is no midi thing...
Stick the oxygen into your computer. MIDI produces NO sound, it's dependent on what software you have. It'll send data, which you'll translate into sound via virtual instruments.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I recently bought the same thing. Just get the latest drivers off the website. I use it in FL Studio. All you have to do is be sure to enable it in the midi section after hitting F10 to bring up the options menu.
oh, and what's the difference between a midi controller and a drum machine if you just want to do drums. i have a drum plugin for protools that can be used with a midi controller, so that wants to make me get that. but if i'm just using it for drums, can i get a drum machine and somehow put the sounds from the plugin on that?
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
oh, and what's the difference between a midi controller and a drum machine if you just want to do drums. i have a drum plugin for protools that can be used with a midi controller, so that wants to make me get that. but if i'm just using it for drums, can i get a drum machine and somehow put the sounds from the plugin on that?

With my Alesis SR-16 you can program beats into it, then over midi, the computer uses the data and corresponds it to the different samples/plugins you've selected.

Every midi controller/drum machine/midi sequencer does that however.

But to be honest, it's a little pointless to program beats, when you can simply sequence it straight to a PC without need for a keyboard/drum machine.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Get a pad controller for drums. You can cut samples and **** too with 'em.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
oh crap, and one more thing... i just assumed with a usb midi controller, you plug it right into your computer. but i didn't think about the actual midi out thing... you have to plug that into some kind of interface right?
With that oxygen you won't need anything else. Just plug in with USB abd your good to go, the other midi ports on the back can be used in extra ways but are not necessary for it to function .
ok, so before i get a controller i just have another question. i'm using pro tools and i have the xpand! plugin. i'm guessing this is a VSTi right? so say i get a usb midi controller, i plug that into the usb slot, open up pro tools, load the plugin and whatnot and then just play on the keyboard and i'll get some drums?
Assuming you properly install/configure the controller to work with protools then yes.

Not sure about Pro Tools but I know with FL Studio at least for real simple things you can always just use the regular keyboard (one for typing).
Last edited by BEAST89 at May 7, 2008,
Yes, just make sure you add a MIDI track, then you have the plugin as an insert. Then play to your heart's content.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101