Hi ,

Tomorrow I'm goin to buy a new amp.
I was planning to get the rocker 30 , until the salesman yesterday told me to certainley look at some ENGL combos to ...( thunder & screamer I think )

Anyway , goin to test them tomorrow , but what is most versatile ?

I do not need metal tones ( ah well , maye some metallica and Iron maiden but thats all ) Otherwise my styles are very different : indie , blues , rock , pop , classic , grunge , funk , ....etc

Also I was told that the ENGL combos arent specific for metal.
I'm a little bit affraid I will make the wrong choice now , and maybe pick the ENGL , I never had eye for them ..

Can someone give some information about those 2 , what would be best ?

And is s possible to hook the orange combo into the the orange ppc112 cab and use both the speakers ?

Thanks in advance ,
PearlFoo
Quote by Horlicks
Orange out of those, no question

Yeah, I'd have to agree. The ENGLs I've tried sound VERY good, no question, but sort of generic/sterile compared to a Rocker 30, which, IMO, has a beautiful voicing, liveliness, & personality to it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Oh man , thats really nice ...
pfft , this may sound ridicoulus but I dont know , the chance that the engl might sound better than such a lovely looking orange made me nervous and hyperactive for tommorow

And can the rocker 30 been stacked on the orange 1x12 cab , using both the speakers ?

More thoughts are welcome
But thanks so far
imo, Blackmore has the most "tone" out of the engls

however - it sounds like my Orange, just brighter (same organic response etc)
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, I'd have to agree. The ENGLs I've tried sound VERY good, no question, but sort of generic/sterile compared to a Rocker 30, which, IMO, has a beautiful voicing, liveliness, & personality to it.

i disagree that they sound sterile, but i'd agree that the rocker is probably better for the styles of music the ts is after. though the screamer does have pretty nice cleans...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by davedoom
imo, Blackmore has the most "tone" out of the engls

agreed, though i'd add in the savage se and se too most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my Screamer 50, but the Orange is much better suited to the styles of music you listed. I tried both extensively before I bought my ENGL and I just didn't dig the Rocker 30 for the price . When you are spending that much money you really shouldn't be asking other people what you should buy in my opinion. Try them both and decide for yourself.
Those ENGL's are pretty metal toned, go with the Orange.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I know I need to test them.
In fact I am off to the shop in about a half an hour , but I needed some opinions about the Engl before playin with it .

Thanks
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed, though i'd add in the savage se and se too most likely.

there you are fellow Dave! i was waiting for that input - but from you since you own one - still, very true! i.e Powerball and especially Invader are much less
Orange! no doubt about that!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Hi

I came home with this today :

Awesome sounds I can get out it with the firebird !
Ha , gonna play some more now

Thanks for the advice you gave me , the ENGL's distortion was not my cup of tea.

PearlFoo
Congrats on the purchase
Very Nice
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by davedoom
there you are fellow Dave! i was waiting for that input - but from you since you own one - still, very true! i.e Powerball and especially Invader are much less

haven't tried the invader... to be honest, it's too long since I've tried a powerball too to really comment and be sure I'm right.

but the blackmore does remind me quite a lot of my savage se, just the savage se has more bells and whistles, reverb, pentode/triode switching and can get a bit more modern (and has nicer cleans, i think, though some of that is doubtless the built-in reverb). there's a smoothness to the tone, which is in the blackmore too.

good choice on the amp, howey, by the way, i think you made the right choice for what you play.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey pearlfoo, i hate to jack the thread, but hows the epi firebird play? i was thinking about getting one....i just love the FB....and im a huge Foo fan as well...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
haven't tried the invader... to be honest, it's too long since I've tried a powerball too to really comment and be sure I'm right.

but the blackmore does remind me quite a lot of my savage se, just the savage se has more bells and whistles, reverb, pentode/triode switching and can get a bit more modern (and has nicer cleans, i think, though some of that is doubtless the built-in reverb). there's a smoothness to the tone, which is in the blackmore too.

good choice on the amp, howey, by the way, i think you made the right choice for what you play.

if the Blackmore had reverb - it would be icing on a tone cake.

i dont use pedals - so FX loop is negligible...

ive never once found a good step-down switch by the way - especially on Marshalls - they always loose balls and low-end (sometimes just everything) and the Blackmore kills at any volume which is odd for a 100w (loudest ever 100w almost ive heard)

to thread starter - if that was a Gib. and not Epip. - i would have buckled knees and would be under the table - but one day youll have it!
Quote by davedoom
if the Blackmore had reverb - it would be icing on a tone cake.

i dont use pedals - so FX loop is negligible...

ive never once found a good step-down switch by the way - especially on Marshalls - they always loose balls and low-end (sometimes just everything) and the Blackmore kills at any volume which is odd for a 100w (loudest ever 100w almost ive heard)

does the blackmore not have a loop? i didn't realise that...

i definitely like reverb for cleans and blues... plenty of nice reverb pedals of course, but they can get expensive...

and yeah, pentode does sound different to triode. though triode does sound a bit more "vintage", which is cool for some lower gain stuff (though cleans sound sparklier in pentode)...

i guess, i'm glad i have the triode/pentode, you might as well have it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^sorry, i meant its there - but i dont use it - haha

yeah, deal breaker - thats what gets it - this that and the other and more

knobs, twiddly things, loops, buffers, sockets, rocket-to-the-moon

nah, good guitar - good cable - good amp.

im done!
^ ah ok, fair enough. no loop would be a bit spartan to be honest. i don't use pedals very often, but i like the option of a nice delay on a solo...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Varkunus
i use my DD20 in series find it sounds better than parallel

yeah it always pays to try both...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?