I've been reading a lot about the Vader cabinets and their amazing low-end, so I've decided to purchase one.

My question is this: It is my understanding that the 4X12 is an excellent all-around cab, although I've heard that the 2X15 offers a ton of bass. Will the 2X15 be able to handle the higher frequencies well, or should I go with the 4X12? Also, does the 4X12 have a lot of bass? I play death/black metal, and want a sound similar to Behemoth if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your time.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
Quote by Horlicks
Randall have a 2x12 1x15 cab

Even a quality 2x12 will have enough bass (and remember, if you play in a band, leave the bass to the bassist. Thus the name ). Although closed or open back has an effect on it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
They both have ****loads of bass its just 2x15 is designed to act like a semi versatile sub woofer and sit under the 4x12. IOW no you need the the 4x12 but as soon as you can get the 2x15 do cuz it adds so much boom to your bass you'll **** your pants.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Fama
Even a quality 2x12 will have enough bass (and remember, if you play in a band, leave the bass to the bassist. Thus the name ). Although closed or open back has an effect on it.

In most Death Metal bands, the bassist is rarely heard anyways.

Quote by BAoxymoron
They both have ****loads of bass its just 2x15 is designed to act like a semi versatile sub woofer and sit under the 4x12. IOW no you need the the 4x12 but as soon as you can get the 2x15 do cuz it adds so much boom to your bass you'll **** your pants.

Thanks for the reply! I knew the 2X15 is meant to compliment the 4X12, but it also said in the description that it's versatile on it's own. Thanks for the reply, I shall order the 4X12.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
Forgot to mention since the wattage is so high on vader cabs they won't distort/color your sound so if you're looking at clean sound it can sound kinda flat but When it comes to death metal there is no substitute just ask Dying Fetus.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
I've got a 2x15 which goes with my Bassman. It has tons of bass, and plenty of treble. I don't know if I would recommend it for metal, since the low end isn't that tight, and the response isn't that lightening quick.
Quote by diablomastabarb
In most Death Metal bands, the bassist is rarely heard anyways :P:

True, but you don't really need too much bass since the bassist probably play about the same as you do, complementing your tone.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by mr_hankey
I've got a 2x15 which goes with my Bassman. It has tons of bass, and plenty of treble. I don't know if I would recommend it for metal, since the low end isn't that tight, and the response isn't that lightening quick.

there is no way in hell we are talking bout the same vader cabs. these things are tight as a 2 year old girl. and the 2x15 will play the highs but it won't sound very good considering the max freq response.

edit: at bedroom levels the response isn't holy **** its just sweet but at gigging levels you'll be curious what happened first you playing or the speaker.
-George Will

Last edited by BAoxymoron at May 1, 2008,
Quote by BAoxymoron
there is no way in hell we are talking bout the same vader cabs. these things are tight as a 2 year old girl. and the 2x15 will play the highs but it won't sound very good considering the max freq response.

edit: at bedroom levels the response isn't holy **** its just sweet but at gigging levels you'll be curious what happened first you playing or the speaker.

I got the impression he wasn't even talking about Vader (although I could be wrong).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by diablomastabarb
In most Death Metal bands, the bassist is rarely heard anyways.

Thanks for the reply! I knew the 2X15 is meant to compliment the 4X12, but it also said in the description that it's versatile on it's own. Thanks for the reply, I shall order the 4X12.

If you want your drummer's DOUBLE PEDALLING FEET OF STEEL to be heard you'll go easy on the bass
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
As a "general" rule, smaller speakers have more definition, though they have a smaller frequency response range. That said, it's not hard to imagine a 2x15 being muddier than a 4x12, even if they are both comparatively "tight" compared with other cabs on the market. You also need to consider that unless you're way detuned, you'll probably never need the additional low end that 15's can offer. It may sound good by itself, but too much low end from the guitar generally does little more than muddy up the mix when put with a full band.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM