I have a 75watt Line 6 Spider III that I always thought sounded decent to my ears, but now that I've gotten into recording I realize how unusable the sound really is. I'm using a Shure SM57 and an ART Tube Mic Pre with a USB out to record, so I know I should be getting a usable tone from that setup. So I'm looking to buy a small tube amp, somewhere around or below $400 that I can run my Damage Control Demonizer distortion pedal into and get a good tone for recording heavy metal.
You may be able to get a used Peavey XXX 112 or a Valve King for that amount. The XXX is recomended over the King and with it you can sell the Demonizer, you won't need it anymore. With the Valve King, keep the Demonizer, you'll need it for high gain if that's what you are doing.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
if its just for recording a low wattage amp such as the Epi valve junior will do you good...specialy if you have the demonizer
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
i think if you're only going to be using it for home recording, ideally you should get one of those 5 watt tube amps. i'm considering getting a Grainger Valve 5 and/or a Fender Champ for this purpose myself, as my Laney VC30 has to be cranked loud enough to disturb the whole street before i can get a sound i'm completely happy with.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you want to use your demonizer a 5 watt valve amp would be a horrible choice. Just buy a non-modelling SS combo and use that.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you want to use your demonizer a 5 watt valve amp would be a horrible choice. Just buy a non-modelling SS combo and use that.

like it or not, distortion pedals usually sound a lot better through valve amps.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
like it or not, distortion pedals usually sound a lot better through valve amps.

I wouldn't say usually. It depends on the pedal and amp.

But, if you're going to use a distortion pedal with an amp like the valve jr, it will most likely start to break up, which isn't nice when you've got a slavering beast of a distortion like the demonizer in front of it already. And as he isn't going to be able to crank them and has no actual need to due to the pedal, buying a nice SS amp makes way more sense for this guy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i sorta of agree with timi because a distortion like that is going to sound pretty bad through a 5w tube.

get a Cube and be over with it. lol. im not kidding though, i absolutely love the sound i get out of my Cube. i'll be recording with it soon when i get my new gear.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Thanks guys, your opinions have been really helpful. I'm going to try out my friend's cube and see what I think, and I just might order something like a small Peavey (or Blackheart, I hear good things about them). But musiciansfriend has a 30-day money back guarantee so if I'm not happy with my choice I will most definitely return it and buy something different.
A low gain tube amp like a VJ/Blackheart (same amps) or Palomino would be a mistake. They'll lack the bass response and tightness to get the most out of the pedal. A Valveking can do metal pretty well with an overdrive, but reliability is a question mark. I agree a good middle ground would be a used Triple XXX combo, or maybe a used Crate Blue Voodoo (be sure to a get a USA made one though). Both handle the high gain well, and get by sufficiently on the low gain. Plus they make enough power to be gigged well in the future. I always thought the Triple XXX though sounded a bit thin unless you cranked it up, and this was the 4x12.
Dude what I did. Get a Blackheart Little Giant. It's $300 for the head and cab ($279 for combo). It also has a 3 watt/5 watt switch and the 5 watt setting can get extremely loud. It is a very nice amp IMO.

edit: Oh you meed it for metal?

sh*t nevermind lol.
Fender Deluxe Reverb on ebay. Great for recording.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
you can record directly with the demonizer..
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
get what sounds good to your ear, what sounds good can be captured with a properly placed mic.

You may want an attenuator down the road so you can get more gain and capture that into the mic without clipping.

Quote by sirlimecat
you can record directly with the demonizer..

yea but direct outs loose your cab tone which you capture with a mic. There's just some things that sound better when miced.