yeah you heard, thats the question. my mates were playing a kind of jazz funk thing today and i did a bit of improv over it, sounded alright but it was mainly pentatonics and chromatics.

it was in the key of a major what mode should i use to make it better and jjjajajajajajajajajajaja ahem sorry jazzier (yeah im an idiot)

cheers
the key to jazz is knowing how to jump over the place between all the modes and scales and everything

otherwise, you can fake it with dorian
Quote by Grouch
yeah you heard, thats the question. my mates were playing a kind of jazz funk thing today and i did a bit of improv over it, sounded alright but it was mainly pentatonics and chromatics.

it was in the key of a major what mode should i use to make it better and jjjajajajajajajajajajaja ahem sorry jazzier (yeah im an idiot)

cheers

there is more to it than playing the right mode. Pentatonics can work fine in jazz, so can any of the diatonic scales/modes. You would have to give us a specific chord progression if you want a specific answer.

In general though, If you want to sound jazzy, listen to some jazz. Your not going to learn the magic "jazz" scale and then sound jazzy all of the sudden. You have to be familiar with the genre if you want to emulate it.
argh alright cheers guys, bit run down at the mo im not gunna bother getting familiar with jazz tonight! but i will, cheers for the advice. i just wanted to know if there was one that is most associated with jazz, but i guess there isnt really.

hate theory, getting there though, but in jazz you have to think so damn much

anyway thanks
Quote by Grouch
argh alright cheers guys, bit run down at the mo im not gunna bother getting familiar with jazz tonight! but i will, cheers for the advice. i just wanted to know if there was one that is most associated with jazz, but i guess there isnt really.

hate theory, getting there though, but in jazz you have to think so damn much

anyway thanks

NP man
it takes time. 1st step = listen
ill listen to more, i have an alright understanding of how its supposed to sound like, in fact i did an improv over 'so what' for my college course which was quite good, not that technical, i stayed mainly in the dorian mode. im not in the mood for listening to jazz today - but do you have any suggestions of songs i should listen to to get into it? i'd like a few track names if thats alright, and ill get hold of em and give em more of a listen.
Quote by Grouch
ill listen to more, i have an alright understanding of how its supposed to sound like, in fact i did an improv over 'so what' for my college course which was quite good, not that technical, i stayed mainly in the dorian mode. im not in the mood for listening to jazz today - but do you have any suggestions of songs i should listen to to get into it? i'd like a few track names if thats alright, and ill get hold of em and give em more of a listen.

anything by:

Straight up Jazz:

Wes Montgomery
Miles Davis
Charlie parker
Jim Hall
John Abercrombie
Art Blakey
Jimmy Smith
Sonny Rollins
Sonny Stit

Fusion & other jazz related:

Allan Holdsworth
Mike Stern
John Scofield ( he does the standards thing as well)
Scott Henderson ( with tribal tech)
Medeski Martin & wood

Those are a few of my favorite artists that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are LOTS more. I didnt name songs because there are so many and its subjective. Just listen. For some its an acquired taste, so don't give up on it if you dont like the 1st song you here.

Just pick 1 artist, & listen for a while. Then check out some others.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 1, 2008,

Allan Holdsworth
Mike Stern
Medeski Martin & wood

No Al Di Meola or Frank Gambale = Fail.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Pat Metheny
Larry Carlton
Robben Ford
Chieli Minucci
Lee Ritenour

FTMFW!
More UltraMatic than you.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No Al Di Meola or Frank Gambale = Fail.

The true failure is the not being able to recognize that Al Di Meola & frank Gambale are included in "lots more". (see quote below)

Quote by GuitarMunky

Those are a few of my favorite artists that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are LOTS more. .

I can only name my favorites.... Ill leave naming your favorites up to you.
Quote by GuitarMunky
The true failure is the not being able to recognize that Al Di Meola & frank Gambale are included in "lots more". (see quote below)

I can only name my favorites.... Ill leave naming your favorites up to you.

touché!!!!

No, the true failure is not realizing that my post was a way for me to introduce some of my favorite fusion artists, and instead interpreting it as some sort of attack.

touché!!!!

You don't know what that means.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, the true failure is not realizing that my post was a way for me to introduce some of my favorite fusion artists, and instead interpreting it as some sort of attack.

using the word "fail" is an attack unless stated otherwise. If you were just messing around though, thats cool.

either way favs + mine + the others = something for the TS to check out. its all good.
Quote by GuitarMunky
using the word "fail" is an attack unless stated otherwise.

Some people can derive meaning from sentences, even when that meaning isn't explicitly stated.
Quote by Archeo Avis

If you want to be technical, it's the past participial form of the verb toucher, meaning "to touch".

Touché is the term indicative of two people fencing and one person TOUCHING the other with the end of their sword, therefore scoring a point.

Apply it to the current situation.
Quote by UltraMatic4
If you want to be technical, it's the past participial form of the verb toucher, meaning "to touch".

Touché is the term indicative of two people fencing and one person TOUCHING the other with the end of their sword, therefore scoring a point.

It has colloquial meaning. That isn't it.
Jazz doesn't have just a single scale or mode that fits nicely with it. If you do an analysis of the 20th century jazz movements and analyze the music that is in it, you will see that there is a combination of scales used. For instance songs like Ju-Ju utilize the whole tone scale, where as the song Night Dreamer by Wayne Shorter uses Bb major but at the solo, it goes from the Gminor Blues Scale, to a riff in Eb major than to a run in B pentatonics followed by a repeating riff in C.

Also, Jazz is so random and different from the Classic Music that it has it's own theory. So Jazz isn't so much "modes and scales" but more random and emotional.

If you really would like to know though, pick a particular style (bebop, Swing, Ragtime, Dixie Jazz, Big Band Jazz, Sax Quartets, etc) and analyze key pioneers in that particular sub genre not for note, song for song.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Some people can derive meaning from sentences, even when that meaning isn't explicitly stated.

Ok then......." you suck! " derive something out of that!

JK

anyway, rather than argue about stupid ****, lets try to help the TS:

I think the artists we all mentioned should give him something to check out.

Quote by UltraMatic4
Pat Metheny
Larry Carlton
Robben Ford
Chieli Minucci
Lee Ritenour

FTMFW!

Quote by GuitarMunky
anything by:

Straight up Jazz:

Wes Montgomery
Miles Davis
Charlie parker
Jim Hall
John Abercrombie
Art Blakey
Jimmy Smith
Sonny Rollins
Sonny Stit

Allan Holdsworth
Mike Stern
Medeski Martin & wood

Quote by Archeo Avis
Al Di Meola or Frank Gambale.

Hopefully more people will add to the list and maybe name some tunes.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It has colloquial meaning. That isn't it.

I'm quite aware of the meaning. If you can't figure out how to apply it to your exchange between GuitarMonkey, or apply a sense of humor, then I apologize... kthx.
well cheers for the suggestions guys! as i said im am worn out but ill copy them names into word and then try and get hold of the material tomorrow.
Quote by Grouch
well cheers for the suggestions guys! as i said im am worn out but ill copy them names into word and then try and get hold of the material tomorrow.