Page 1 of 14
I used the searchbar and couldn't find any threads on this great band so I decided to post one. Please don't flame or spam this thread. Or Herman Li will s*** on your head.

Anyways, one of my favorite bands, not so much a fan of They're Only Chasing Safety, but Define the Great Line, and Cries of the Past - both great. And amazing live too, see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PK7lTCbPj4

So, what do you think of this band?
they are honestly the greatest influence on the music i write
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
there pretty good, my favorite song by them is definetly writing on the walls, it pwns
Yea... they are a great band. I love the melodic touch of TOCS and absolutely love The Changing of Times album..., I have still to really listen to Define The Great Line though.
Quote by saxaxe
I like a few songs (most of all, Everyone Looks So Good From Here) but most is meh. Fun live though

Fixed. But yeah, that song is epic (that's what the live performance is from).

They've also got a new album coming out, it's supposed to be pretty heavy stuff, and heavier than Define is definitely good.
Last edited by punkforlife93 at May 1, 2008,
I actually really like Define the Great Line. Spencer's voice is immense.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Define the Great Line is the only album I've ever heard from them... But I was actually planning on getting their older stuff tomorrow and Saturday… but I ran out of money
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by punkforlife93
Fixed. But yeah, that song is epic (that's what the live performance is from).

They've also got a new album coming out, it's supposed to be pretty heavy stuff, and heavier than Define is definitely good.

whoops. My bad. Yea, I knew it was something like that.
Quote by saxaxe
whoops. My bad. Yea, I knew it was something like that.

It's my favorite song off that album actually.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
TOCS was good, but its way too poppy. After getting into mroe technical music, i can say that Underoath still amazes me with the way they write songs. So simple (well maybe not so simple, but compared to what i listen to now, yeah), yet no one can really get that sound. Define the Great Line is so awesome, i dont even care if its popular.

The next one should be awesome

EDIT: I dont want to start a genre war, but are they considered metalcore?
Last edited by The Spoon at May 1, 2008,
Quote by The Spoon
TOCS was good, but its way too poppy. After getting into mroe technical music, i can say that Underoath still amazes me with the way they write songs. So simple (well maybe not so simple, but compared to what i listen to now, yeah), yet no one can really get that sound. Define the Great Line is so awesome, i dont even care if its popular.

The next one should be awesome

I really have no idea what they're considered, they have elements of metalcore, mathcore, post hardcore, a whole bunch of ****, it's really hard to classify them.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by 'StoleN'
I really have no idea what they're considered, they have elements of metalcore, mathcore, post hardcore, a whole bunch of ****, it's really hard to classify them.

I can hear the mathcore now that i think of it...man listening to it again, i notice so much more
Underoath is awesome i love all there stuff from start till now and i cant wait for there new album. I start creamin everytime i hear writing on the walls.
And on the 7th day God created METAL!
Yeah, I’d have to say that right now, they’re on the line between metalcore and mathcore. I really just started noticing all the mathcore influences, huh.
Last edited by punkforlife93 at May 2, 2008,
Their old death metal stuff was pretty good. then they got really emo gay and poppy. now they are coming back around to the better side of things.
I think they're awesome
plus, aaron gillespe is an amazing drummer, and singer.
at the same time!
xx
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by The Spoon

I'd call them metalcore, with some mathcore elements on Define the Great Line, but only a bit.
Quote by bill_talent
I think they're awesome
plus, aaron gillespe is an amazing drummer, and singer.
at the same time!
xx

He's one of my favorite drummers, definitely.
Quote by lilboisX3
Their old death metal stuff was pretty good. then they got really emo gay and poppy. now they are coming back around to the better side of things.

you are an idiot sir
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
I think they're really underrated on this forum. Define the Great Line is an awesome album and Spencer's voice is amazing.
Quote by lilboisX3

the only album that is close to "emo gay poppy" is TOCS, which still isn't that emo, poppy, but i will admit that it is quite gay.
Quote by ch715dallat
Quote by IcePh0enix
I think they're really underrated on this forum. Define the Great Line is an awesome album and Spencer's voice is amazing.

I definitely agree. Every time I post something up about how I like Underoath I get nothing but s*** about how they're crap metalcore and screamo, when half of them are just a) jumping the bandwagon or b) close minded to other types of music.
Well I see a lot of people with a good taste in music hating them too. I think they don't like them because they're mainstream (and they're loved by the scenesters) and they aren't very technical. I still think they make amazing lyrics and great music though.
I think that TDWP lyrics are actually really good too, and i'm not afraid to admit it just because the all the scenesters like them. Too bad the music itself is really ****ty :p
Quote by ch715dallat
Just goes to show they need to look at bands before criticizing them. As a matter of fact, I was listening to Protest the Hero at school and one kid called them "death metal s***." I mean, seriously, they aren't even metal (though they are good).
Quote by punkforlife93
Just goes to show they need to look at bands before criticizing them. As a matter of fact, I was listening to Protest the Hero at school and one kid called them "death metal s***." I mean, seriously, they aren't even metal (though they are good).

I get equally annoyed when people try to tell me that all slipknot is, is RAAAA!
because if that scares them, then they really haven't heard much...
but i'm as bad as the rest,
i can find myself passing judgement on a band i haven't fully heard:/

but yeah, underoath rule
xx
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Just remembered I saw them live about three years ago and I've honestly never been so bored. I might have seen them twice actually supporting various people.
Quote by punkforlife93

Protest the Hero is definetly metal, but a lot of people think all music with screaming is either death metal or screamo.
Quote by IcePh0enix
Protest the Hero is definetly not metal, but a lot of people think all music with screaming is either death metal or screamo.

Fixed.
Quote by ch715dallat
why hasn't anyone said anything about "the changing of times"?
I think that was the best ive heard a little beter than "define the great line"
and WAY better than "They're only chasing safety"

I cant hear any of the other two older albums cuz they dont sell
them in any stores that ive been to and lime wire(that i never used) "hint hint"
destroyed my old pc and im to cheep for any thing that costs any thing
but i have heard "Heart of stone"and"Giveing up hurts the most"
Quote by IHeartme
why hasn't anyone said anything about "the changing of times"?
I think that was the best ive heard a little beter than "define the great line"
and WAY better than "They're only chasing safety"

I cant hear any of the other two older albums cuz they dont sell
them in any stores that ive been to and lime wire(that i never used) "hint hint"
destroyed my old pc and im to cheep for any thing that costs any thing
but i have heard "Heart of stone"and"Giveing up hurts the most"

They're around the net.
Just look harder.
Quote by ch715dallat
Quote by 'StoleN'
They're around the net.
Just look harder.

I know but im just to lazy