Hi, I hope this is the right thread for this.

Walking out of my room yesterday I knocked my chair over (it's quite heavy) onto my bass guitar, hitting the fretboard around the 12th-15th fret where I'd left it on the floor. I really shouldn't have left it unprotected on the floor, but there you go.

When I picked it up to play today, I noticed:
- 14th fret on A plays the same tone as 15th fret
- 13th fret on D plays the same tone as 14th fret

I fiddled around with the strings for a bit to see if I'd just knocked one of them out of place, or the fact that I'd left it for a while had raised or lowered the action. I feared the worst, that my entire neck had bent out of shape.

Checking the actual frets I noticed that the metal had scratched slightly when the chair knocked the string against the metal with some force. Here's a picture of one scratch:

(the circled bit is scratched)

And here's the chair that did it:

And the mug who left his bass on the floor and knocked over his chair and now has a slightly skewed Fender Jazz:

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I should do about repairing it?
I figured soldering work wouldn't do it as the level of detail is so intense. Can you buy new metal-bits-of-frets and remove old ones, or just get your local guitar shop to do it? I really don't fancy replacing the whole neck...

Thanks appreciated greatly,
Paul.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Tidy your room, and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Can you get a clearer pic of the damage because it's impossible to tell from that one?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Tidy your room, and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Can you get a clearer pic of the damage because it's impossible to tell from that one?

Haha yes thankyou.
Alkaline.. hehe.

Ok enough about the state of my room, which was incidentally the cause.

I'm afraid without access to a camera better than my mobile phone one, no. I'm sorry about that :\ Basically the metal has scratched so the surface is no longer smooth, and is in the shape of the rough metal edge of the bass string. The scratch is fractions of a millimetre deep.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

You need to take the bass to someone who knows what they're doing with fretwork - if you need to ask the board it's not a DIY job. A clear picture of the bass would be more useful than the shots of your chair and face.
take it to guitar shop and then phone up the environmental health agency and have them condem your room
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by smb
You need to take the bass to someone who knows what they're doing with fretwork - if you need to ask the board it's not a DIY job. A clear picture of the bass would be more useful than the shots of your chair and face.

Thankyou, I'll have to find someone during the summer holidays.

Yea, I'm really sorry about the quality of the picture. As I said before, it's from a cameraphone which is the best I can use right now. Saying that, I had to squint to notice the damage but it's clear that's what the problem is.

Thanks guys, I'll take it to my guitar shop and see if there's anything they can do.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Last edited by Paul Lambeth at May 1, 2008,
couldnt you check the shape of your neck the same way you would to check your truss rod? (should be in your fender instructions if you kept them)
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
try changing the action too highering it might help
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Did you check to see if the dent in your fret was deep enough that the string is touching the 15th fret when you press the 14th fret down. It doesn't seem likely but if that's the problem, you could take it to a shop and fix or replace the fret.
Quote by Sylvanus
Did you check to see if the dent in your fret was deep enough that the string is touching the 15th fret when you press the 14th fret down. It doesn't seem likely but if that's the problem, you could take it to a shop and fix or replace the fret.

That's what I think might be the problem. It seems to be more that the coil making up the string doesn't all rest on the fret as the fret's been cut into, but you have a point - it's unlikely to be deep enough for it to touch the next fret up. Thanks.

I'll check to see if the neck's been bent out of shape, though it's only affecting two strings, each at different places and the scratches on the frets seem too co-incidental. I'll try though, thankyou.

I'm 99% sure it's not the action, I had a look and nothing at that end seems out-of-ordinary. Thanks though.
Quote by Paul Lambeth