Whats up, I would like some advice from someone who knows more about strings than I....lately I have been breaking string about once every two weeks on my electric. I want to say my high e is .10 but i'm not sure it might be .12. Anyways, what are your recommendations as far as gauges for strings go?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: i meant .010 and .012.....
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
Is it just one string that keeps given you trouble? If so there could be a bur on the tail peice or the saddle that weakening the string. Or it could be just poor techque. Most likly the latter, Have your guitar checked out but I would bet that you are just thrashing the strings to hard, or over tightening them.
anyone shouldve realized the gauge .i havent realized till the Edit point.
Well to start, after you restring, you should lay off, tune 1 step down for 1-2 days for the tension in the neck to even.(while restringing, you should replace each string while the others are still in place).
Then, keep the guitar in temperatures between, lets say, 20-30 degrees Celsius , thus it doesnt suffer from quick changes of heat or cold and doesnt stay in those conditions.ive never played with strings that thick(or thin, ive had .08 which broke the second day .09 and now i have a bass.try to lay off those heavy bends and always check if your neck isnt curved
it's not the gauge, even a 16 wouldn't break that often. the edges on your saddles/bridge, or the nut may be jagged
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
.010 is a normal gauge. It's actually thicker than what I use, .090. Likely you have a bur on the saddle but like the post above mine said, maybe you are playing to hard. Are you playing with your wrist or with your arm?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by szekelymihai
anyone shouldve realized the gauge .i havent realized till the Edit point.
Well to start, after you restring, you should lay off, tune 1 step down for 1-2 days for the tension in the neck to even.(while restringing, you should replace each string while the others are still in place).
Then, keep the guitar in temperatures between, lets say, 20-30 degrees Celsius , thus it doesnt suffer from quick changes of heat or cold and doesnt stay in those conditions.ive never played with strings that thick(or thin, ive had .08 which broke the second day .09 and now i have a bass.try to lay off those heavy bends and always check if your neck isnt curved

Are you serious what your telling this guy. Put your strings on and play. Stretch them a little at first. Probally a saddle is the culprit.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
^ haha that post about waiting is pretty funny.

anyway, like said, look for the spot of the next string break, feel for a rough spot.

and either file and lube the saddle there, or swap out for graphtech string savers, or similar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet: Where does the string break?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet: Where does the string break?

Quote by me
look for the spot of the next string break, feel for a rough spot

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

Damn Jenny, I didn't see that...

One fails.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.