I have a mim strat and i never used a whammy bar before. How tight should I screw in the whammy bar in to the strat?

Also I can't get my whammy bar to be very loose, is that normal? What I mean by loose is that the whammy bar should fall back downwards by itself if I position the whammy bar upwards.

Is the whammy bar supposed to rock back and forth
Last edited by lpmarshall at May 1, 2008,
your supposed to push down the whammy bar with the hands while playing a note it doesnt do it automatically exept it should spring back after pushing
If you've got a vintage style whammy (with the six screws, not two) it's supposed to 'rest' on the body. Tighten the screw just enough that it stays flat on the body. You can loosen it a bit more, but then your guitar will become a bitch to tune an compound bending will sound like ass.
It sounds like you have a little rust on the screw in part of the bar, hit it with a little WD-40. As far as whether the bar should fall or not, that's real personal preferance. On the songs where I'm using alot of trem I tighten it up so it's right there. If i'm not using it alot I let it hang so it's out of my way.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
It sounds like you have a little rust on the screw in part of the bar, hit it with a little WD-40. As far as whether the bar should fall or not, that's real personal preferance. On the songs where I'm using alot of trem I tighten it up so it's right there. If i'm not using it alot I let it hang so it's out of my way.

yeah the tip is pretty rusty, what does that do?