How do I understand this???

Cm6=Am7/b5=F9 (no root)

I understand the numeric values (root 3rd, 5th, 6th, 9 etc)

so Cm6 would be C D# G G#

Am7= A C D# G

and an F9 is

A C E G??

I think

help?
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
so Cm6 would be C D# G G#

C Eb G A

A m6 chord has a minor third and a major sixth. The minor third is an Eb, not a D# (they are not the same)

Am7= A C D# G

A C E G

and an F9 is

A C E G??

An F9 chord would generally contain an F.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

The minor third is an Eb, not a D# (they are not the same)

wait, back up the bus, can you explain that? It was my understanding that they were the same note, do you mean he's using the wrong name?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
wait, back up the bus, can you explain that? It was my understanding that they were the same note, do you mean he's using the wrong name?

They are enharmonic, but they describe different things (Similarly, "there" and "their" sound the same, but they describe different things)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ok, that's what thought, you almost blew my mind on that one!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
well the book I'm reading said that in this case there was no root in the F9 (ted greenes chord chemistry)
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
well the book I'm reading said that in this case there was no root in the F9 (ted greenes chord chemistry)

No, usually you'll see F9 written as F A C Eb G. The A C E G would usually be interpreted as an Am7.
Last edited by :-D at May 1, 2008,
Quote by TDKshorty

It's possible to omit the root and let the context define it as an F9 chord, but no one is going to know what you're talking about if you describe it as ACEG.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's possible to omit the root and let the context define it as an F9 chord, but no one is going to know what you're talking about if you describe it as ACEG.

TS: Either way, the FACEG is a maj9 chord so the book wouldn't be correct anyway. A ninth chord implies that the 9 is on top of a dominant seventh chord, not a major seventh.
Quote by :-D
TS: Either way, the FACEG is a maj9 chord so the book wouldn't be correct anyway. A ninth chord implies that the 9 is on top of a dominant seventh chord, not a major seventh.

Ah! I can't believe I missed that.