im looking for a cheap guitar that is very versatile. i dont really want to get something like a squier strat because they are way too common. i quite like the epiphone sg310 and also i like the schecter blackhawk bc1. my price range is up to around £175 but i could probably stretch to £200.

P.S. by versatile i mean able to play rock one minute, indie the next and even able to do a bit of metal
P.P.S. i am primarily a rhythm player and i dont really do solos so it doesnt have to have a fast neck or anything
Last edited by Rugby Rocker at May 1, 2008,
If you like the G-310, look at the G-400, it is about £179 in some places and it is a good guitar at the price (infact it is a great guitar)
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by fire within
If you like the G-310, look at the G-400, it is about £179 in some places and it is a good guitar at the price (infact it is a great guitar)

i have looked at it but i like the bigger scratchplate on the g310. if the g310 plays as well as the g400 i would definately go for it
I think a Vintage Modified Fat Strat would work, but the price might be a little high. Alho it probably is one of the best guitars under $299.
Quote by Rugby Rocker
i have looked at it but i like the bigger scratchplate on the g310. if the g310 plays as well as the g400 i would definately go for it

you can put the scratchplate on the G-400... the G-400 is a hell of a lot better guitar than the G-310
any schecter is gonna be nice and made well
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Quote by tlohrmann13
any schecter is gonna be nice and made well

also the shape of the guitar is quite rare and i like that. also, i have found an advert for one at £169 instead of £200
I would go for the g400. I bought the g310 used and i dont really like it. Its plays nice, really fast, and the action is good. But i dont like the tone. It is great distorted and clean but you cant go between. Like light distortion sucks on the guitar.
UPDATE: thanks for all the advice but i have ended up buying a Squier Showmaster NLT HSS

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/squier/showmaster_nlt_hss/index.html

i bought it for £129 on denmark street, london and i got it with a case, lead, set of strings and a load of picks. it is bright blue and i have found it to be a brilliant guitar so far.
thanks again for the advice
Cool. Just as long as you didnt get the g310. I think im gonna sell mine and get a g400.
Yamaha Pacifica 112? HSS and they're soild. Very versatile
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
buy a piano instead
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I didn't think that any of the guitars mentioned in this post had distortion pedals built into them. How exactly do you get poor light distortion with a guitar that gets good heavy distortion and good cleans? I'd venture to say that you're critiquing the amplifier you demoed the guitar on. Knowledge is power...get some, please.
Quote by aberrant
I didn't think that any of the guitars mentioned in this post had distortion pedals built into them. How exactly do you get poor light distortion with a guitar that gets good heavy distortion and good cleans? I'd venture to say that you're critiquing the amplifier you demoed the guitar on. Knowledge is power...get some, please.

he's saying the pickups can't do that well. And I agree. but that's not the only sh*t thing about it.the neck is at no angle, so the tune-o-matic creates extremely high action. the neck is DEFINITELY not mahogany, I chiseled some paint away, it's a light wood that is also VERY soft (as in one can bend it with little difficulty). It looks a bit like Balsa. Not to mention the neck is set (not glued in, just the positioning) too far in, so frets 17-22 are hard to reach.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.