I'm looking to buy a new guitar, and I preferably want something that is going to have that more "metal" tone and feel and that plays very well in low drop tunings (drop b/drop b flat). Slipknot and Five Finger Death Punch are two of my favorite bands and I love their sound, and that's pretty much the sound I'm hoping to get in my next guitar. I know they use BC Riches, so I was thinking about getting one of those. But I'm really not too familiar with BCs, so could someone offer me some advice on what guitar to look into? I don't want anything low end. I have a good amount of money to spend on the guitar ($1,500+), so I want it to be something of very good quality. I also don't want any signature model guitars. Thanks!

Btw, if anyone has any suggestions that aren't BC Rich brand, that's fine. As long as it will work good for drop tuning and has that type of tone that I specified, I'm happy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
The more appropriate question you should be asking is "What amps do they use?"

90% of the tone you end up with is generated by the amp, so the better question would be from my end: What amp are you using right now?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well jim root uses a fender now
and mick thomson uses an ibanez

edit: +1 to the amp affecting the tone more
what amp do you have just now?
Top lel.
If you want slipknot sound, you need a Rivera amp, knuckle head reverb or Tre
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The more appropriate question you should be asking is "What amps do they use?"

90% of the tone you end up with is generated by the amp, so the better question would be from my end: What amp are you using right now?

I use a Peavy Valve King and a Boss ME-50 effect board. My main concern is that the guitar will play well in such low tunings though. I have a les paul custom tuned down to drop b right now with really high gauge strings, and it does work, but I don't like the way it plays at ALL.
Quote by LoneWolf59X
I use a Peavy Valve King and a Boss ME-50 effect board. My main concern is that the guitar will play well in such low tunings though. I have a les paul custom tuned down to drop b right now with really high gauge strings, and it does work, but I don't like the way it plays at ALL.

Tonally the ME-50 should do fine tone wise; especially going through the Valve King.

Well what don't you like about the way the guitar plays? Once we've identified the issues you have with the guitar we can find out what you really want.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by the memory
well jim root uses a fender now
and mick thomson uses an ibanez

edit: +1 to the amp affecting the tone more
what amp do you have just now?

Any good Ibanez guitars you can suggest? I'd be fine with one of those. No MT signature guitar though. I'd feel a little weird using that on stage.... Makes me feel like a poser in a way. That's just me though.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tonally the ME-50 should do fine tone wise; especially going through the Valve King.

Well what don't you like about the way the guitar plays? Once we've identified the issues you have with the guitar we can find out what you really want.

For one, I can't bend the strings. Every time I bend the g or b string, they freakin go out of tune. Even if I strum too hard on other strings, the g and b go out. Plus the heavy gauge strings just don't play well on that guitar. They're hard to push down and the action is bad. Also, the overall sound that it's giving me just isn't what I want. My other two guitars (a Jackson and a Schecter) have AMAZING tone. So I don't think it's the amp or board, cuz I use the same gear for both of those guitars.
As long as you like the feel just about any Ibanez guitar from the S/RG/SA/SZ/RGT range should be fine; but you should be careful, 'Nez stock pickups won't really have the output for extreme metal so you might want to swap them out for something else.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
dude, go with a caliber classic handmade bc rich. They are under 1500$ and they are handmade in the czech under american custom shop specs.
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As long as you like the feel just about any Ibanez guitar from the S/RG/SA/SZ/RGT range should be fine; but you should be careful, 'Nez stock pickups won't really have the output for extreme metal so you might want to swap them out for something else.

Alright, I'll look into going that route. If I'm going to get new pick ups in it though, any suggestions? I'm a decent guitar player, but I'm pretty much brain dead when it comes to the gear, electronics, and accesories. lol
I do know that I like the pick ups on my other two guitars though (Seymour Duncans). They have a very nice tone. Would those go well with the Ibanez to get that sound I'm going for?
Quote by GOALIE
dude, go with a caliber classic handmade bc rich. They are under 1500$ and they are handmade in the czech under american custom shop specs.
Excuse the dumb question, but I'd have to special order one of those from BC Rich directly, right?
Quote by LoneWolf59X
Alright, I'll look into going that route. If I'm going to get new pick ups in it though, any suggestions? I'm a decent guitar player, but I'm pretty much brain dead when it comes to the gear, electronics, and accesories. lol
I do know that I like the pick ups on my other two guitars though (Seymour Duncans). They have a very nice tone. Would those go well with the Ibanez to get that sound I'm going for?

Pickup suggestions largely depend on what country you're in, it breaks into two categories: British, who should be buying Bareknuckles and the rest of the world for whom the price is too high and should therefore be buying SDs or DiMarzios, neither of which I know much about.

I suppose if you want Slipknot tone EMGs are the way to go but I personally can't stand them.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by LoneWolf59X
Any good Ibanez guitars you can suggest? I'd be fine with one of those. No MT signature guitar though. I'd feel a little weird using that on stage.... Makes me feel like a poser in a way. That's just me though.

there are a few RGs that are string through, which would be good for drop tuning
you might want to change the pickups though
Top lel.
Get a baritone guitar which is more suitable for low tunings. I think LTD make one?
do you want a 6 string or maybe a 7 or even 8? Ibanez's 8 string prestige models are exquisite for low tunings and give you the freedom to not have to tune anything down to get it. they also play wonderfully.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Definatly look into ESP and Ibanez. They will both get the job done.

Also EMG pickups are a big factor for that type of sound.
ESP ltd Viper 500s
Ibanez - RG 321 (EMG 81 / 85)
Ibanez K5 (original model)
Ibanez AEL acoustic

. . . . .. . . .
I see them on ebay all the time and i bet if you googled it you could prob find a dealer that has them.
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff