Well I've made a real effort this semester to improve my grades and my parents are going to reward me with a few thousand dollars. Probably somewhere around 1500-2000. Whatever the dollar amount is, I'm thinking about either getting a Les Paul Classic or a Marshall 1987x half stack, theres one on musiciansfriend. I play mostly blues, classic rock, pop stuff (Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, SRV, Eric Clapton, The Police) and sometimes I play some Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Buckethead, etc. If i didn't get the marshall I would get a keeley modded DS-1 to get some good distortion. Right now I'm playing a strat through a Fender Twin (not the twin reverb, the 2 channel 100 watt twin) with a wah, fuzz face, univibe, and ts9. If i bought the Marshall I know that id have it modded with a master volume so i could get distortion. So what should I do?

btw feel free to correct my grammar/spelling.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

do you play out in a band? do you guys gig a lot? what do they play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yea i'm in a band. we don't gig a whole lot, but we do some. maybe about twice or three times every six months. but thats going to change soon because we're releasing our demo soon and then book more shows. o and i also forgot to put in that i also sometimes play stuff like Kings of Leon, Led Zeppelin, and ACDC.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

New amp a Jcm 800m, thats on zepplin and acdc, i dont really know what kings of leon are like amp wise.
What kind of guitar and amp do you have right now?

Even if your gear was absolutely horrible, with 2000 bucks you could pick up a nice guitar and a great used amp...
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
i've got the reversed headstock strat with a 2 channel fender twin.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Personally, I'd go with the amp if your guitar is working for you.

How much is it running for though? I imagine you could get a pretty nice used JCM800 or something similar for not too far upwards of $1000 off eBay.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
i'd say amp. i dont know if id spend the whole nut on an amp, but i'd always upgrade amp then guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the 1987x goes for $1849 on and the les paul is $2100. i think some of you are getting confused, i'm really a strat player so the les paul wouldn't be an upgrade. itd just be a different guitar for different styles of music.

edit: does the jcm800 have a master volume?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Id go with the Les Paul... think clapton and the beano album. Billy Gibbons... Allmans.. Slash...
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
alright. i think ill go with a les paul and get a keeley modded ds-1. i heard they have some pretty marshallesque drive sounds.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

You got that much for grades...man your lucky. I've had a 4.0 my whole life and I sometimes get 100 bucks...well anyway....get an amp.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com