Hi all,
I have a problem with soloing! When I bend the high E string, sometimes, I accidentally bend the B string along with it (Example: a whole bend on fret 17 or 20). Makes an horreble sound what I deffenetly don't want so How can I solve this?

Seccond, how do you guys mute all the strings while soloing? I guess you just use your palm to mute the strings, but I think it's hard to mute all the strings besides the one you want to hear, any tips on that?
Last edited by poekie1337 at May 1, 2008,
I have started using this technique I learned off Joe Satriani. I don't know what its called but basically you do a little dance with your unused fingers on your picking up on top of the strings that are idle. Its hard to explain without showing someone really but basically there is nothing someone can say over the internet that will help drastically in your area of need. Maybe there are but I've never seen any. Your issue will be solved in time on its own. You can't force yourself to do certain things on guitar, it just takes endless practise and rountine.
And your problem with bending, everyone has this problem. It can be resloved, but like the palm muting issue, it does take a lot of time and there are no direct ways in which you can correct the arrant noises and fluffed notes. One way that may help, is to bend the string very slowly and make sure your fingertips on placed on the string, not the fingerprint area. That way, there is a less of a chance of catching the string above.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
One way that may help, is to bend the string very slowly and make sure your fingertips on placed on the string, not the fingerprint area. That way, there is a less of a chance of catching the string above.

Thanks! That sure makes sence to me.
About the unused fingers, you're talking about the left hand now are you?
No I mean your picking hand. I find it very hard to mute the strings during soloing with my fretting hand, so I therefore created a technique that would mean my picking hand does most of the work. It leaves your fretting fingers free to do whatever that way. If you think about it, if your fingers are both fretting notes AND muting strings, you will have more difficulty playing fast because they are concentrating on two tasks. Economize, thats the best thing for you to do.
Also, if it makes any difference, if you use your fingers on your picking hand to mute the unwanted strings, then you leave the road open for more techniques, such as finger picking, Hybrid Picking and extensive muting. Its not effective practise to splay your fingers out like so many metal guitarists do, because simply those fingers are not doing anything. Make sure everything you are doing is concentrated, balanced and economical.