I am always hearing practice your scales...
I do not have much knowledge on any music theorey, but what exactly do I do?

Do I just learn each mode of some scale and play it, and do the same thing for different scales?

Can someone tab something that is a good scale workout?
Look up how to play certain scales and print them off or something, know which one you are playing at all times. For G major do this

|-------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------
|-----------------------2--4--5----------
|-----------2---3---5---------------------
|--3---5----------------------------------

pretty rough but you should get what i'm saying. play it up and down, and do as many as you can and learn them all if you can.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Tabbing out a scale completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, defeats the purpose of scale practise. You're not doing scale practise, you're doing stamina practise or maybe accuracy practise. The point of learning scales is to learn the NOTES of the scales and how to apply them. If you think about the scales as you do them, you're doing fine.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Tabbing out a scale completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, defeats the purpose of scale practise. You're not doing scale practise, you're doing stamina practise or maybe accuracy practise. The point of learning scales is to learn the NOTES of the scales and how to apply them. If you think about the scales as you do them, you're doing fine.

+1

As we say in the music talk forum, scales are not patterns on the fretboard, they are a collection of notes.
(Major) Scales go in a pattern of two tetra chords combined with a whole step
A Tetra Chord is basically Whole Step > Whole Step > Half Step

And there you go, now you can play any Major scale
wow, i actually understand this...

thank you a lot. I am hearing people telling me to play scales, they are the wrong people....
they are doing it because they want to be the next ZAKK WYLDE or something, but when you told me about knowing the notes and stamina, i knew that must be the reason

thanks a lot