Page 1 of 2
so, what songs were you people playing at 1 year knowledge??
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
i sucked horribly lol. i'm decent right now but i've been playing going on 13 years or so. don't worry about where you're at cuz theres always gonna be someone better. it's not a competition man.
i'm at one year now and im playing almost all the red hot chili peppers songs and some gnr
Does it really matter? Honestly, everyone is either going to lie and say something like Arpeggios From Hell, or just be truthful and modest and say they sucked.
^ i think most people do (except for those damn 8 year old savants i see at guitar center, they always make me wanna quit) it's funny though because at the time i thought "hey i'm doing pretty good, i know some nirvana and some metallica bits and this other random stuff" but looking back gawd i was awful. i didn't start getting good until about 6 years or so in. but in my defense i didn't have the internet as a learning tool. the best hope i had was a 14.4 k modem to download tabs from local bbs'es.
Ive been playin about a year and i can play a majority of BFMV songs and alotta metallica, but solos still give me sum trouble
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Equipment- Dime Crybaby From Hell
Korg PX4D Pandora

Drums- groove percussion set with zht cymbals and remo heads
Well...
I know how to play so many songs that I don't even play them all...I don't even remember which ones I know xD
I play 2 months more than 1 year...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I have been playing almost a year now and some things I'm proud of learning are:

Zeplike - Slightly Stoopid
Castles Made of Sand - Jimi Hendrix
Eruption (Sorta...) - Van Halen (I don't know all the tapping and I mostly make up solos based on the original)
Little Wing (intro) - Jimi Hendrix
Santeria - Sublime (including solo)

Everything I have perfect except when I mentioned otherwise
god knows, i honestly can't remember when that was, probably nothing of great technical skill....ba ba black sheep perhaps?
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I'm only like 2 yrs in almost 3 and i still suck...whenever i feel like i'm getting better someones always at the guitar store to remind me that i still have alot to learn
Last edited by jimmy2579 at May 1, 2008,
^ dude, wait till you get older, like 25 or so and see these little kids with classicals twice as big as they are just shredding some classical. you'll wanna quit.
I have to say I've come so far since then haha. One year? That was only a little over 2 years ago! Let's see... that's when I was into mainstream metalcore stuff, so I was attempting some A7X and BFMV. I was still failing pretty miserably though. Especially since I refused to down tune, which I believe was a very good decision, just to prevent bad power chord habits . Although, there was some good stuff I was listening to that I tried and failed much much much harder. That would be Symphony X, Children of Bodom, and Stratovarius being the big ones I remember.

The stuff I could play included Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nightwish, random power metal rhythm parts for bands like Edguy and Avantasia, and what got me started in the first place: Rush. Just not Alex Lifeson's damn solos, which seemed impossibly fast at the time. I remember getting the Rush In Rio DVD and checking out La Villa Strangiato live. Lifeson pulls some pretty fast stuff in it and I was all like
At around the year mark I was playing Lamb of God, KSE, some rhythm parts to Nevermore and stuff. I never really bothered to learn the classics (which I regret now). When I first started off I played stuff like old Metallica (although it was very ****ty b/c at the time my alternate picking was crap and songs like Blackened made me want to throw my guitar in the garbage) and stuff.

Not to brag or anything, but I think I did quite well at the 1 year mark, being able to play a song like "hourglass" with that little experience put a smile on my face (no, I couldn't do the vomit riff for that song at the 1 year mark, still hadn't figured out how to properly alternate pick).

The problem with me was I jumped right into it, the first song I "tried" to learn on guitar was Break You by Lamb of God, in retrospect it wasn't the best idea but I don't regret it, had I taken lessons or just learned theory and stuff I wouldn't be where I am today and I love where I am today! I wouldn't be able to play from the heart were I to take a different route, I've notice far too many of my friends (some who've been playing longer than me by many years) are too mechanical in their playing and not from the heart or with soul (result of taking lessons from snobby music guitar teachers).

Been playing for a wee bit over 2 years now and can play a lot faster now that I have alternate picking down to a science and just recently finished learning how to properly sweep pick. Right now just jamming out to stuff like Arch Enemy, I think if I can play the solo to Nemesis or songs like The Last Enemy and such, I'm pretty well off =) (yea, I can play them). Still have a long way to go though, currently focusing on string skipping and perfecting my sweep picking.

Oh I forgot to add that I pick things up a lot faster than most people, music/guitar is one of them.
Quote by cptazad
At around the year mark I was playing Lamb of God, KSE, some rhythm parts to Nevermore and stuff. I never really bothered to learn the classics (which I regret now). When I first started off I played stuff like old Metallica (although it was very ****ty b/c at the time my alternate picking was crap and songs like Blackened made me want to throw my guitar in the garbage) and stuff.

Not to brag or anything, but I think I did quite well at the 1 year mark, being able to play a song like "hourglass" with that little experience put a smile on my face (no, I couldn't do the vomit riff for that song at the 1 year mark, still hadn't figured out how to properly alternate pick).

The problem with me was I jumped right into it, the first song I "tried" to learn on guitar was Break You by Lamb of God, in retrospect it wasn't the best idea but I don't regret it, had I taken lessons or just learned theory and stuff I wouldn't be where I am today and I love where I am today! I wouldn't be able to play from the heart were I to take a different route, I've notice far too many of my friends (some who've been playing longer than me by many years) are too mechanical in their playing and not from the heart or with soul (result of taking lessons from snobby music guitar teachers).

Been playing for a wee bit over 2 years now and can play a lot faster now that I have alternate picking down to a science and just recently finished learning how to properly sweep pick. Right now just jamming out to stuff like Arch Enemy, I think if I can play the solo to Nemesis or songs like The Last Enemy and such, I'm pretty well off =) (yea, I can play them). Still have a long way to go though, currently focusing on string skipping and perfecting my sweep picking.

Oh I forgot to add that I pick things up a lot faster than most people, music/guitar is one of them.

I don't think knowing theory robs someone of their soul. My other major is Music Theory and Composition -- it has given me more options and has taken the guess work out of playing, but I still have emotion.

Also, when first started playing, Oasis' "What's the Story" album had just come out...fun times. Damn, I'm old.
I sucked. Unfortunately not much has changed.

I have better gear today to suck with!
E preciso amar as pessoas como se nao houvesse amanha- Renato Russo
Oasis and White Stripes, looking back, it wasn't good, i was ****, but it tought me so much,
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
I started playing with a classical guitar purely fingerpicking. My fingerpicking was very good at the time, but my flatpicking was awful. I learned Nothing Else Matters my first year, just one song.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Breaking Benjamin - So Cold

Switched to rhytm during the solo though (still haven't picked it up...moved on to other things instead )

Apart from that just random riffs
I've been paying for 7 months ishh now and I can only play seven nation army, duality and a load of intros cause I get bored.. and james bond lol. Cant play any of them well though.... I r suck
i played alot of nirvana i thought i could play avenged sevenfold but i sucked i could play like basic pentatonic scales
well, i'm still in my first year, so to say i'm a good guitar player would be a complete lie, but i think im progressing faster than i thought i would. My teacher also really pushes me to know how to improvise though it's hard with little theory. Other than that i've learned some basic songs.
i just play now something more than a year and practise on silent night bodom nigth from children of bodom its a bit sloppy and i cant play the solo but yeah i keep practising :P
my equiptment
B.C rich platinum warlock
line 6 spider III 15w
epiphone sg special
ive been playing for like 7 months, i can play parts of some songs, but i always forget how to play them. anyone got any tips for what i should be practicing?
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
I've been playing for what, ten days...? Practicing Hallelujah, F-chord and B7-chord at the moment. Been playng practically all my spare time these ten days though, still wondering where it takes me
I only played open chords in my first year

Quote by Anlino
still wondering where it takes me

musical enlightenment
The River - Good Charlotte, Funeral of Hearts - HIM, Seize the Day - Avenged Sevenfold, To End The Rapture- A7X, Beast and The Harlot - A7X

I completed the lead guitar parts on all these songs.
I think after a year I was better than I am now, so that pretty much sucks
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Ive only been playing about 9/10 months, but I have seen people who suck horribly at one year, and ive seen amazing guitarists. I myself can sweep decently, and i can play some pretty complicated stuff (Children of Bodom and stuff like that) so i guess im doin okay for now. Don't know where ill be in 2/3 months though

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I was bad.

Well, I suppose I was one of the "best" among my friends because I was more into the shred game...Big mistake.

Unfortunately for me, I got into shred a little too early on in my journey and I developed some sloppy habits. I regret it, but I'm not disappointed with myself today and I've got nothing but time on my hands, so I'm good to go.
Probably grade 1 - i was doing really well i think. Im not sure if i had discovered green day yet properly though, and then i formed a band and all i really played was chords, usually barre or power chords. It went on like that for ages without really doing much lead things! But i think its helped me so much, now i have the rythm down after all them years and now im getting ok at lead, its definitely paid off. I wish i could be a guitar teacher and just tell people to play green day for years! Easy enough!
Quote by Grouch
Probably grade 1 - i was doing really well i think. Im not sure if i had discovered green day yet properly though, and then i formed a band and all i really played was chords, usually barre or power chords. It went on like that for ages without really doing much lead things! But i think its helped me so much, now i have the rythm down after all them years and now im getting ok at lead, its definitely paid off. I wish i could be a guitar teacher and just tell people to play green day for years! Easy enough!

what are these Grade 1, Grade 2 things anyway?
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I think after a year I was better than I am now, so that pretty much sucks

lulz, don't sweat it. when i was 18 i was SOOOOOO much better than i am now, but i contribute that excessive amounts of self abuse in combination with practicing/playing 6 hours or more a day
After a year i was pretty good compared to all my friends. I was playing under the bridge, seek and destroy (no solo), dust in the winds, romance, hey joe and many other intermediate songs.
With a good teacher and decent practice one can become good in no time. Playing alone is also possible to, it just need more discipline and reading some booklets to learn.
I'm at 9 months right now.

I can play:

Heaven Shall Burn - The Weapon They Fear
Behemoth - Conquer All
Death By Stereo - Entombed We Collide
Buckethead - Soothsayer (no solo, obviously)
Steve Vai - For The Love Of God (again, no solo)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird/Gimmie Three Steps/Sweet Home Alabama/Simple Man
Kansas - Dust In The Wind/Carry On My Wayward Son
Three Dog Night - Never Been To Spain
Guns 'N Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Metallica - Master Of Puppets (not Kirk's solo)
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction (no solo)

I also have 3 current bands going on right now, and I don't really like covering songs, so like 95% of what I play is original stuff.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at May 4, 2008,
I was mainly playing Oasis, White Stripes, and Green Day. I was also doing a lot of barre chords, and open chords. Now, a year later, I'm doing the whole Pentatonic blues rock thing, and in a year, I hope to be in a band, and able to shred.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Page 1 of 2