Hello, I am thinking about building my first guitar and I wanted to get some opinions on where to buy stuff, some tips you could give me and a est. of how much it is going to cost me. I am very skilled with materials, I work mainly in metal, but I can work with wood too. So I was thinking pretty much an Alexi Laiho V except all black with gold hardware. No pinstripe. I was thinking of going with a Jackson style headstock. 24 frets of course. EMG 85 with just a volume knob. Pretty basic. Neck through construction unless everyone says otherwise.
I'm not clued up on American sites to get stuff from, but Stewmac sounds like the bee's knees. As for the pickup, eBay is THE best place to get EMGs.

What tone are you aiming for? If you wan't the tone of an Alexi, you'll need alder wings, with a maple neck.

I'm just about to start on my RR24/Alexi hybrid, and my total was about £260 ($520?). A radius block and Dremel-style rotary tool are included in that, but not finishing products. As soon as tomorrow morning comes, I'll have everything except the wood and binding.

My advice is to take your time, and plan EVERY tiny detail. I'd been toying with the idea of doing a build for ages, then I started scribbling stuff down and working things out. Now, I've made full templates, got most of my parts and knowledge, and I'm ready to go. Not only does that allow you to scrutinise every detail, but it gives you time to shop around for prices, and hopefully save some money!

Edit: Also, keep a eye on builds from Perry Ormsby, and JSCustomguitars. You'll pick up loads of little tips and ideas from the threads knocking around.
thanks for the advice. I was planning on a similar route. As far as tone, I am not really sure. If I wanted alexi tone I would use an HZ pickup with a booster, so Idk. I want something heavy, brutal and with boatloads of distortion and grit. I have an JB right now in my LTD H-1000 and I like that but I want something different. Sometime more brutal I guess you'd say, lol.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
thanks for the advice. I was planning on a similar route. As far as tone, I am not really sure. If I wanted alexi tone I would use an HZ pickup with a booster, so Idk. I want something heavy, brutal and with boatloads of distortion and grit. I have an JB right now in my LTD H-1000 and I like that but I want something different. Sometime more brutal I guess you'd say, lol.

Pickups aren't really a problem, especially if you want an EMG - they have great resale value, so you can always sell and swap.

I've got an EMG 81 sitting here, ready for my V. I use an 81 and 60 in my Schecter Tempest, and they're fantastic, but only because of the mahogany. I don't want to use either for my RR though, because the 60 doesn't have the output or tone to be used in the bridge position, and the 81 is too treble-biased. Coupled with alder, I'm pretty sure that the 81 would be too much, so I've gone with an 85. The 85 has a similar output to the 81 (EMG can never decide which is hotter) and is equally as responsive, but it also has more balls.