As the title says really; is the Ibanez S470 worth the extra £100 over the SAS36FM? What are your thoughts?

Pro's

5 way pickup selection (can anyone actually tell me if the S470 humbuckers are coil tap or not? Can't seem to find definitive information about this)

Better neck

Better Tremelo system (although I like to change tunings, this could be a problem)

Is the HSH setup going to provide even more versatility than the HSS? I play everything from Opeth and Tool to Explosions in the sky, so need a wide range of tones.

I'm leaning towards the SAS36FM, but wondering if there's any reason to be convinced otherwise.
Yes, the S470s humbuckers coil tap but if you like to change tunings the locking trem may cause some problems. Personally I think HSH is slightly more versatile than HSS but it all depends on whether or not you want a single coil or a humbucker tone at the neck.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
teh zr trem (that really rather nice ball bearing one) has a thumb wheel at the cavity to change the spring tension so it shouldn't be to hard with different tunings. yes to teh coil tap. and i perfer teh tone of teh s470.
The S470 doesn't coil tap...
At least mine doesnt
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
The S470 doesn't coil tap...
At least mine doesnt

It doesn't? It should...unless of course the older ones don't...when did you get it?

Well anyway; the new ones do.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Mine's a fairly new model, 2004 or 2006, I forget.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Mine's a fairly new model, 2004 or 2006, I forget.

How very strange...mine's only either 2006 or 2007 and it coil taps quite nicely; gets some good RHCP style tones out of it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Also, anywhere know any places in the south-west UK (Bristol area) where I can find these? Yet to find anywhere that stocks them, might end up ordering online but don't really want to
I think it is. Ibanez S series just rocks in general though,
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
By the way, what's the difference between teh S470 and the S470DXQM other than the finishes?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
How very strange...mine's only either 2006 or 2007 and it coil taps quite nicely; gets some good RHCP style tones out of it.

How do you tap it? And are you definately playing the S470?

I just ask because here

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1275&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=61

It talks about tapping the humbucker by pulling the volume pot out, whereas on the S470 page

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1269&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=59

There's no mention of it.
On Ibanez HSH guitars the hums are automatically tapped in positions 2&4, but you can't access the tapped N/B hum on there own without mods (check the switching guide at the bottom of that second link you supplied.)
They are completely different models, SA is more like a strat wheras S is the superstrat. SA is the one with coil-split function
Last edited by Horlicks at May 2, 2008,
Quote by d8v3yb
On Ibanez HSH guitars the hums are automatically tapped in positions 2&4, but you can't access the tapped N/B hum on there own without mods (check the switching guide at the bottom of that second link you supplied.)

Yeah, this guy's right; you need to mod it for a push-pull type coil tap.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.