Page 1 of 3
ok my friend, sam, is one of the funniest people i know (he can do a REAL good inpresion of the tourettes guy). i taught him how to play guitar and we hang out a lot, but, when it comes to music, we have a pretty vast gap in taste. i like only 80s, some 90s, and 70s music. the only band i like that came out after the 80s (discluding VR, because thats more or less GNR, just w/o axl) is tenacious d, and i think they may have been together before the 90's, im not sure. and he likes all death/heavy metal. now dont get me wrong heavy metal is good, but the only heavy metal bands i like are black sabbath, metallica (kinda), and ozzy osbourne (iguess you could include megadeth, but theyre not really heavy, there more like thrash). so this, of course, leads to odd moments when we're at either person's house and wanna listen to music. another thing that annoys me is that every week , he has a new favorite band. i stick to my top five (see my other thread) but its anoying to have to listen to a different band every week where i cant understand what the singer is saying, the drums just do the constant bass stuff, and the guitar is all tremolo picking and chords that are in weird tunings that i cant understand. and when i comes to listening to my music he's jsut like, no. any ideas on how to get him to at least listen to my music.
slap him
When i die, i wanna be burried upside down...so that anybody who doesnt like me can kiss my ass.

marilize leguana!
People have different musical tastes. Deal with it Susan.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ipod(or any other mp3 player capable of high volume)=win!

Or get one of these
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
You should both invest in your own mp3 players.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
You're angry at your friend because of your obnoxiously conservative and closeminded musical taste?

Variety is the best part of life! Learn to love it!
Quote by mustaineNslash
ok my friend, sam, is one of the funniest people i know (he can do a REAL good inpresion of the tourettes guy). i taught him how to play guitar and we hang out a lot, but, when it comes to music, we have a pretty vast gap in taste. i like only 80s, some 90s, and 70s music. the only band i like that came out after the 80s (discluding VR, because thats more or less GNR, just w/o axl) is tenacious d, and i think they may have been together before the 90's, im not sure. and he likes all death/heavy metal. now dont get me wrong heavy metal is good, but the only heavy metal bands i like are black sabbath, metallica (kinda), and ozzy osbourne (iguess you could include megadeth, but theyre not really heavy, there more like thrash). so this, of course, leads to odd moments when we're at either person's house and wanna listen to music. another thing that annoys me is that every week , he has a new favorite band. i stick to my top five (see my other thread) but its anoying to have to listen to a different band every week where i cant understand what the singer is saying, the drums just do the constant bass stuff, and the guitar is all tremolo picking and chords that are in weird tunings that i cant understand. and when i comes to listening to my music he's jsut like, no. any ideas on how to get him to at least listen to my music.

How about you both stop being wankers and give each others music a try? Sounds like you both have ok taste, but broaden them into each others and you will get WIN
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
you don't like his, why should he have to like yours? just deal. it just sounds like hes really into the music he likes, maybe its YOU who should expand your interests if you're just listening to the same **** all the time. thats actually what i like about my friends, we all listen to somewhat different stuff, but we get each other into it, and our tastes are more diverse for it. and at the same time, its only music, just deal wit it.
Oh so what you're saying is you can be arrogant and ignorant to his music taste, but when it comes to him not liking your taste in music it just isn't right.
He doesn't have to listen to the same music as you.
And so what if he finds new bands to listen to?
It's called variety, I love GnR, but I also love modern death metal.
Widen your tastes man.
Jono
xXx
Good god both of you need to grow up and just ****ing accept that you like different music. expand musical horizons - BOTH of you. You don't HAVE to listen to his music and he doesn't HAVE to listen to yours if you're both around at the same time. Pretty simple solution...geez.

I mean...GROW UP! You're being totally hypocritical! You complain about his music, but he can't complain about yours? You're not always right, and you're just making yourself look like an idiot

Like I said, expand your musical horizons, and realize you're both being childish.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
You sound dumb.

Just let him listen to what he wants to listen when he is at his house vice versa.

Oh and the favorite bands thing? I do that alot, I obsess over certain bands for like a month or two, then never listen to them again. It's called finding new music.
you guys can have lots of sleepovers... and share one sleeping bag... could be interesting...
Founder of the Mike.h murder case group
Mike.h murder case
This day will go down in Lulzfamy.

Quote by Audio™
The Pit can't even solve what they want for lunch let alone how to save the world.
Quote by smb
I'm amazed you have any friends if they can't have different taste to yourself.

+1, first thought.

Stop acting ridiculous. You can always just make fun of his taste.
well, death metal is awesome. so ur wrong and ur friend is right.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Just be happy he isnt into gangsta rap
My Gear
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez RG550
Fender Tele Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Lonestar
Keeley Compressor
Keeley TS808
Give each others music A try. I used to hate that heavy metal but i gave it a try and Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under ect are some of my favorite bands! Tell him to give some of your music a shot. Guarenteed it will grow on him in time. As Heavy Metal will grow on you with time.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Maybe you should both just get used to, and respect, and wrap your mind around this, enjoy each other's music. Not to take a side, because I haven't heard his, but it sounds like you need broaden your horizons buddy.
i usta kinda be the same, very closed minded with music. only grunge and punk... i decided if i want to be as good as i want to be on guitar and with all instruments i play/try to play, i must expand my tastes. someone likes all these different styles for a reason, and i wanted to know why. i now love jazz, blues, classic rock, funk, soul... you name it theres a few artists out there who i can appreciate their style. remember the music you like didnt come first, and they(the musicians in the bands) had to come about that sound from some other style, find it learn it, love it. expand your mind
i just cant (ive tried and simply cant)(im not the only person) consider death metal music. i know i sound like an old guy but its just noise.
Then don't listen to it and suck it up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Don't blame him for listening to better music than you.

Seriously though, accept the fact that not everyone likes the same music as you.
Quote by Mike_Callahan
Just be happy he isnt into gangsta rap

That would be better then the modern **** they call rap. Pic up a Tupac album, my friend. Or some old public enemy.

Quote by mustaineNslash
i just cant (ive tried and simply cant)(im not the only person) consider death metal music. i know i sound like an old guy but its just noise.

So is everything you listen to. You're point? You're not going to instantly like everything, but you can ease your way into it. Thats what I did with classical music, I basically forced my self to listen to it, and now I adore it (along with basically everything else)

I have a new favorite band at least every two weeks. Just find a band you both like and listen to that.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by mustaineNslash

Well, your problem is that you're dismissing it as "just noise" there's a lot going on there and granted it's an acquired taste, but you should seriously sit down and listen to something like Nile (Annihilation of the Wicked is a great place to start) if you can honestly listen to User-maat Re and you only hear noise, you're not even trying. There's a lot of speed and melody there, it's just different than what you are used to. Basically, close your mouth and open your mind and ears.
Quote by zekk
That would be better then the modern **** they call rap. Pic up a Tupac album, my friend. Or some old public enemy.

I meant the new stuff...i dont really know my genres of rap haha
My Gear
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez RG550
Fender Tele Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Lonestar
Keeley Compressor
Keeley TS808
Quote by shut_up_n00b
I have a new favorite band at least every two weeks. Just find a band you both like and listen to that.

Yeah, I agree. It sounds like you're not even trying, and atleast half the joy of music is finding more, new, music. Seriously with something like music that expands and gets changed and created and altered and mutates every day, why the fuck would you limit yourself from the joy of discovering new music?

No offense man but you dont seem to have very diverse taste in music. The problem your having with Sam is one that youre going to have with most people, so I guess just learn to live with it. Im not gonna tell you that you should start liking his music, but if youre gonna confine yourself to a very strict set of bands then dont expect other people to do the same.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
No offense man but you dont seem to have very diverse taste in music. The problem your having with Sam is one that youre going to have with most people, so I guess just learn to live with it. Im not gonna tell you that you should start liking his music, but if youre gonna confine yourself to a very strict set of bands then dont expect other people to do the same.

Exactly, you're frustrating yourself by wanting people to share your passion and when they don't you get upset. Grow up or expand your horizons.
Quote by zekk

There is still WAY better rap then them too, and it's new stuff too. MF Doom, Immortal Technique, Hieroglyphics, The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Wu Tang Clan(not so much thier new album, but thier solo **** right now is good), Eminem, Beastie Boys, Jay Z, Outkast, Nas, and WAY more

/raprant
Then don't change and quit your bitching.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
forcing musical tastes is wrong.
Do not force your bad tastes of soul, funk and classic rock on the awful things that are grunge and punk.

I vote you both listen to metal and be done with it.

(See what i did there?)

Quote by mustaineNslash

No. It's not. Anything but nile, 'necro-fag' and the rest of the "mainstream death metal" known as "Tech" Death, are alot more then noise.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by mustaineNslash
and why should i change for someone else if they wont change for me?

Read my post.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by mustaineNslash

haha your friend sounds just like me. One of my hobbies is literally checking out new bands. It sounds like you need to open your mind and get into something besides classic rock. And you sound just like my friend Bobby. My friend bobby listens to the song Achilles Last Stand ( good song) literally everyday for the last 6 years. He likes almost nothing modern at all, I got him into metallica and Sonata Arctica, everything else he shuts down, after 10 seconds
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
god who said i listened to "soul and punk". when i said i mainly keep to my top five, i meant that they stay my top five. i listen to a lot of other stuff, im just saying that its not that he listens to a new band every week, its that each week he has a new "favorite" band that is all of a sudden the best band ever. pick one and stick with it. you know i listen to (excluding my top 5) whitesnake, ad/dc, scorpions, jimi hendrix, metallica, poison, anthrax, snakepit, judas priest, iron maiden, bon jovi, van halen, def leaperd, pink floyd, rolling stones, beatles, deep purple, etc. etc. etc. i think what really anoyes me is that people think that any band that can do the growling thing, play fast, and turn the gain up really high, (and do the bass slapping thing, i never got that... it doesnt even sound good) are god. they didnt do anything special, they didnt invent any new techniques, they didnt contribute the musical history, they just play. no memorable riffs (smoke on the water, iron man, sweet child o mine, etc) nothing that you can sing along to (tenacious d, poison, whitsnake, just to name a few) its like listening to an album with only filler songs, no singles or anything that stands out. now i know its supposed to be just about the music (i say taht all the time) but a lot of bands just carry around a label about how hard they can party and that magically makes them a good band (sams friend trever has a problem with that) just cuz they "party" means there a good band... ... ...wtf?!?!?!? slash even says in his book taht he has a problem with that. i think i was just born in the wrong decade.
Page 1 of 3