hi!

I have a question... I am learning some theory with my teacher atm, but I didn't get the thing with the chords.

He showed me (at least tried to) how to find the right scale/mode to improvise over a few chords, but what if the rythm guitar only plays power chords? It really isn't common to play things like E7m or whatever with high distortion...

So for example, if I see that the guitarist plays G5 A#5 A5, what would I have to play over it?
How do you come to your results?

Thx for help!
Cheers!
If the song is in G major - so may use B5 at some point, or if the bass/vocals implies a major key, then you would use a major scale or mode, like G Mixolydian. If the song has a minor tonality - maybe uses Bb5, then use a minor scale or mode, like G Dorian.
It depends on the style of music. With something that's more heavy metal styled, you'll wanna use a minor scale. But if the song has a major tonality, you'll want to use a major scale or mode.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Yeah, but how do I know WHICH minor scale I have to use? What do I know if the chords are G5 A#5 A5 for example?

Sry, I am quite new to music theory...
Quote by Jokaaa
Yeah, but how do I know WHICH minor scale I have to use? What do I know if the chords are G5 A#5 A5 for example?

Sry, I am quite new to music theory...

That one's simple. Look at the notes.

G5: G D
A5: A E
Bb5: Bb F

Those notes fit in the F Major scale: F G A Bb (C) D E

You would use Bb and not A# because there is already an A in the scale. With chromatic exceptions, you only use each letter once.
^
If it was more of a metal style song (which I'm assuming that this is), you'd call that Dm, and play it like a minor scale.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^Trying to keep it basic, but yeah that's the general consensus. At the same time, it can be slightly difficult to pick out the key with power chords.