I am looking to get the spider valve head. Right now I am playing on a crate FXT 120 and it sucks. I dont like one thing about it. So now I am looking to pick up a spider valve. Does any one have one, what do you like and dislike about it? Is there somthing else I should look at besides it?
What kind of budget are you playing with?

Spider Valves are a bit of a gimmick to me.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i've only played the spider valve 212 for about 5 minutes at a store with a low volume so i can't say much other than it seemed to have a pretty good sound at the volume i was playing at... again it depends on the type of music you play and what you're using your amp for (bedroom, band practice, or on stage plus the idea of traveling considerations) but from what i can tell it seemed to have a good sound especially for modern rock, blues and metal. With my small amount of experience it seems to be good for someone to achieve a good tone with a lot of different tone options that you'd get from using a multi-effects pedal.

one thing i had a problem with was it seemed a little complicated to me since this was my first time playing a line 6 product. reading the manual im sure would be a great help because of all the buttons and settings and such. i say if you can try it out in a store totally go for it, and if you're not familiar with line 6 amps definitely don't be afraid to ask someone in the store to give you some help so you can get a good idea of how all the features work because there are a number of 'hidden' features that aren't staring you right in the face...

so give it a try if there is a line 6 dealer near you.
I tried it out, and it was just alright.

I hope line 6 makes a Vetta Valve.
mmm...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I haven't played the valve, but the clips I've heard have sounded a little thin to me. However, I have heard that with proper adjustment they would sound much better. Based on the price however, I'm a little dissappointed they when with the Spider modeling/effects engine. You would think that if they had Bogner design the tube portion they'd at least match up the Flextone engine. As it stands, I think you are better off getting a basic tube amp and a Pod effects unit.
No it is not a crate Halve stack it is a FXT 120 combo. I hate it.

I am looking to spend $1300

I play metal, rock. " avenged sevenfold, Trivium, Atreyu, metallica, slayer"
dude if you're doing pure hardcore metal than look into the peavey 6505 or 5150, they have great metal tones, the guys from trivium use them
horrible cleans though
if i were you i'd look into getting a nice amp than buying the single effects instead of trying to hit both in one
the valve is okay 10x better than the standard spider
but still you can do a lot better if you're playing with those bands that for the most part don't even use effects
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by mxrider117
I am looking to get the spider valve head. Right now I am playing on a crate FXT 120 and it sucks. I dont like one thing about it. So now I am looking to pick up a spider valve. Does any one have one, what do you like and dislike about it? Is there somthing else I should look at besides it?

I have a Spider III and despite what people say I have gotten really good at dialing in tones and use a tube preamp on clean channels when I play SRV type stuff and I need a warmer tone and it works for me. I was kind of hoping that the Spider valve edition might have really worked out the "warmth" issue and I've heard conflicting reports from people who have tried it. Since you actually went down and checked it out, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the tone of the valve and if it has a nice bluesy warm tube sound or not because I'm thinking about buying one myself and I would really like your opinion. They are expensive.
~JP~
Quote by MPM12
Line 6 has awesome cleans.

GTFO
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by acdclandon
dude if you're doing pure hardcore metal than look into the peavey 6505 or 5150, they have great metal tones, the guys from trivium use them
horrible cleans though

The bandwagon 's here.

Hop on.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
well ive played the spder 3 extensevely, and i agrre the cleans do suck, do only hting it could do, passively is like a jazzy sound, thats it, and it parelly passes at that.
I tried the Spider valve, didn't like it at all. Although it is indeed all-tube, it doesn't really behave like one. All the muddiness and digital-ness from the SS Spiders is gone, but like a Spider it's still very thin and brittle sounding. Not really what you want from a tube amp at all, especially considering the price tag. Effects are very good though. Oh, and to Jimmy Pige, it's really not warm.

If you're looking to spend that much, you have so many other options. A Marshall JCM would probably be ideal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at May 6, 2008,
if you absolutely need the digital versatility, you may be better off buying a pod pro (its the rack version) and a tube poweramp.

this way you can get the versatility of digital, and the dynamics of tubes.

of course this may run you past your intended $1300
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.