So im thinking about putting a pickup of some kind in my Martin HD-28V. I really wanna make sure that the pickup replicates the true tone of the guitar. I also would like the pickup to be as discrete as possible (no pre-amp stuff on the side or anything like that). Any suggestions? Oh and i'd be willing to drop a decent amount of cash on this. Thanks.
LR Baggs M1 Active. it's SERIOUSLY good. i've already used it three times on stage, and i really must say that the tone is very quite true to the guitar. The only difference when i turned on and off the pickup was that there was more bass when the pickup was on(and some more volume too, obviously). that's about it. tonally, it sounds VERY similar and true. I have perma-installed the soundhole pickup onto my Martin D-16RGT. I couldnt be happier with it.

EDIT: to the poster above... why wouldnt you buy an decent acoustic/electric? because he has a freaking HD-28V!! adding electronics to it would probably sound better than spending the same amount of money on an acoustic/electric guitar.
Last edited by captivate at May 1, 2008,
My acoustic was almost 3 grand, so ive spent enough on an actual guitar already. As for captivate, thanks for some useful advice.
Quote by captivate
to the poster above... why wouldnt you buy an decent acoustic/electric? because he has a freaking HD-28V!! adding electronics to it would probably sound better than spending the same amount of money on an acoustic/electric guitar.

fair enough.
Quote by Longhairedrockr
My acoustic was almost 3 grand, so ive spent enough on an actual guitar already. As for captivate, thanks for some useful advice.

no problem.

also, takamine has the same pickup as well(it comes in black, which is a less intrusive colour than the LR Baggs' cream white). takamine calls theirs the "triax" pickup or something like that.

ummm... the soundhole pickup only has a volume control, but you can change the EQ by setting the poles closer or farther away from each string using an allen key. i havent played with my pole height settings yet, but i dont think i will need to. it sounds good the way i bought it.
Great! I'll have to look into those. I had looked at a few of the seymour duncans but I have yet to actually try one out.
The LR Baggs M1 is definitely the way to go for a soundhole pickup, unless you want to drop some money on a Sunrise.

Other options would be K&K, or some of the better Fishmans.

Chances are your local store will let you sample a few pickups, especially if they are just of the soundhole variety. Bring in your guitar and decide what suits your fancy.
god and woody guthrie
you'll find 'em both
in the grand canyon
at sundown
Also from L.R. Baggs, Dual Source might be an option if you don't want to open up a huge hole on the side of the guitar. (There's no way around drilling a small hole on the bottom for the jack, though.) As long as you don't mind the lack of EQ control on the guitar itself, you should be fine.
k&k pure western mini under bridge transducer 100 bucks preamp 100 bucks (i clip mine on my strap). very true life like tone totally hidden instalation and removable (except for half inch hole for endpin jack) just a touch boomy on a dreadnaght but that is easily dialed out with the eq on the preamp. fully reviewed on the electronics for acoustics sticky check it out. i got the lowest priced model and am quite pleased they also have models wich blend open mic ubt and saddle piezo but i have no experience with them. but thats ok cause i am quite pleased with the ubt sounds just like my guitar just louder.