e|------------------12-17p12------------------------------12-------------------
B|---------------13------------13------------------------13----------------------
G|------------14------------------14------------------14-------------------------
D|---------14------------------------14------------14----------------------------
A|-12h15------------------------------15-12h15-------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone help write whether you pick up or down? I can sweep at a decent speed but once it comes to hammer ons and pull offs it confuses the hell out of me. Like do you pause as your hammering? It seems like that's the case but damnnnn.
id pick the 12th, bring the pick down to the d string as you are hammering on and continue the sweep down.

after hitting the e, pause the pick unde the e string as you are hammering the 17th fret, as you ullof start the sweeep back up. same idea ont he next hammer on/pull off
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
It wouldn't really be hammering on if you didn't pause, eh? Ha

To answer your question clearer, yes, you hit the first note, hammer on with your pinky or other finger (means don't pick the second note) on the D, G,B,E strings, pick downward towards the floor, hammer on the 17th fret, pull off to the 12th (don't pick the 12th) then go upwards until you get to the 12th fret on the A string, and repeat.

...I'm sorry if you knew that already, I just wanted to explain well. Hope that helps, haha
Also, this should probably be in advanced techniques
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Its actually not so much an advance technique. Most players I know do it, cause they cant do it cleanly picking all the notes. The advanced thing is to pick all the notes.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
It wouldn't really be hammering on if you didn't pause, eh? Ha

To answer your question clearer, yes, you hit the first note, hammer on with your pinky or other finger (means don't pick the second note) on the D, G,B,E strings, pick downward towards the floor, hammer on the 17th fret, pull off to the 12th (don't pick the 12th) then go upwards until you get to the 12th fret on the A string, and repeat.

...I'm sorry if you knew that already, I just wanted to explain well. Hope that helps, haha
Also, this should probably be in advanced techniques

It definitely helps! Yeah I just wasn't to clear on it. It makes my sweeping a lot slower and less consistent when I add the hammer or pull off but I guess i have to practice!
Simple. If you sweep properly then only hit a string once in a downwards or upwards motion (depending on which way you are sweeping up/down.) You should always hammer on or pull off extra notes.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
Quote by Bun.Master
Simple. If you sweep properly then only hit a string once in a downwards or upwards motion (depending on which way you are sweeping up/down.) You should always hammer on or pull off extra notes.

I understand that but I don't understand why you would hammer on in a beginning of a sweep like the first 12 h 15. It would make you down pick then pause then keep down picking. I feel like if you hammered on or pulled off at the end it would be smoother which I guess you can still do as long as you hit the note? I actually think picking the 12 and 15 would be the easiest solution instead of a little pause.
Quote by Seef
I understand that but I don't understand why you would hammer on in a beginning of a sweep like the first 12 h 15. It would make you down pick then pause then keep down picking. I feel like if you hammered on or pulled off at the end it would be smoother which I guess you can still do as long as you hit the note? I actually think picking the 12 and 15 would be the easiest solution instead of a little pause.

Yeah you can pick both of them if you want, but you will get a less smooth sound (whether that is good or bad is up to you) and also when you get faster at the arpeggio you will find it way easier and smoother to hammer on and pull off the extra notes.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
i usually pick all the notes unless im gonna tap an extra note on the e string.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix