ok so....

i'm probably getting a bass amp after the summer, once i have some money.

-what am i looking for, in terms of wattage, to play in a band (keeping in mind that my bass lines are relatively complex)
-i've heard that SS amps are better for bass than Tube, is that true?
-any suggestions in the 500-1000$ (CAD) for classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal?

yes, i have used the searchbar, and no, i didn't find these answers
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Whether you think tubes are better for bass or not, it doesn't really matter unless you plan to spend close to 2k at least on the rig.

How much wattage will you be competing against? Without any knowledge, I say get at least 300-400 watts.
i'm just thinking standard unamplified drum loudness in a band room...in other words, if ever the drums are mic'd, i'm assuming my amp will be too...
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Quote by slash_angus_VH

classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal?

he said what type of music
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
My bad. I'd say, if you want a lot of bang for your buck... wait for it.... wait or it... Carvin would be a great buy. It's going to achieve that more modern tone that you'll probably want in hard rock, punk and metal kind of things, with the bassy kind of feels that you'll need for the more classic stuff. Basically, Carvin is a very versatile amp, no matter which one you buy, so they put you at an advantage for different musics. Others to consider are GK for sure, as well as MarkBass, although they're more expensive in North America and maybe even Ashdown.
Here's some anwsers:

-Solid state and tube are rather equal depends on the feel and how dirty you want your sound; tube always overdrive nicely, solid state a bit less. A good middle grounds is a hybrid amp; it's a tube preamp with a solid state power amp. Btw tube are fragile so keep that in mind.

- a 100 watt might be enough to hear you over drums but if you plan on giggin' get a upward 300watt

- With your budget a good buy is Gallien-Krueger or maybe a ampeg combo/used rig. Anyway Ebay is your friend.
my guitarist's tube amp fell 5feet to the floor and actually broke the floor. but it still works just fine and didn't damage the tubes. sure the tubes are fragile ifyou actually hit them but they're protected in the amp.

Tube or SS it's all preference. play both.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
TS, not sure how much that translates to in pounds, but if you have enough check out some Trace Elliot stuff, seriously good tones available from their heads and cabs.
Last edited by TobyFellrunners at May 2, 2008,
Quote by Tobyfellrunners
Very funny jackass....I assume you have the best EVER taste in music? Perhaps you tell us what you listen to eh?

WHAT?! Zamok and I see eye to eye on almost nothing, but I feel I must defend him here and say... WHAT?!

Also, maybe another report from the TS would be useful so he could tell us how he thinks of the suggestions thus far.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When TS said he wanted an amp for "classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal?", Zamok responded with "he said music" as in flaming the TS for listening to classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal. Or that's how I read it, if that's wrong I apologise.

[EDIT]

I really do apologise, I read the whole thing completely wrong, didn't see th post above Zamok's, sorry dude!
thanks for the help guys!

if it helps, i can tell you i play an LTD Surveyor-400
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Quote by TobyFellrunners
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When TS said he wanted an amp for "classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal?", Zamok responded with "he said music" as in flaming the TS for listening to classic rock/hard rock/punk/metal. Or that's how I read it, if that's wrong I apologise.

[EDIT]

I really do apologise, I read the whole thing completely wrong, didn't see th post above Zamok's, sorry dude!

Ohhh, yeah, I can see how you would read that wrong. No worries. No one ever said typed words were perfect.
i've finally found enough time to check out all the suggested manufacturers online. at the moment, carvin seem to have the best "buy direct" deals...the other brands seem a bit pricey. anyways, i'm not making a decision until i get the time to lug my bass around town and visit some music stores.
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
not sure about CAD price but you should look at the ashdown ABMs and if they're too expensive then the MAGs
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by slash_angus_VH
i've finally found enough time to check out all the suggested manufacturers online. at the moment, carvin seem to have the best "buy direct" deals...the other brands seem a bit pricey. anyways, i'm not making a decision until i get the time to lug my bass around town and visit some music stores.

That's the best thing to do man, try out a few amps, pick the one you like best and see if you can find it cheaper online than at the shop. I know a few shops price match with Musician's Friend if they have it cheaper. Good luck man!