Cant say i know many other good hard rock/metal active pickups. Seeing as EMG have made their money in the Active business they do seem to hold the flag, but as tone goes they 'can' sound quite crap. 81/85 sets really bug me now. Im tempted by the Dimarzio D-Activator series or the X2n, but any other suggestions? You have to understand im a bit of a gain *****. I want something with BITE nothing too bassy, and plenty of definition.
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
duncan blackouts or duncan livewires are great as well the only thing about livewires is that they sound like they are up when they are all the way down

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
ah yeah i remember them. mick Thompson of Slipknot uses them. But SD have left me a bit disillusioned before with their high gain pickups. They tend to not be a 'grrr' as i want em. They make amazing vintage style pickups tho! Alnico Pro II's are FANTASTIC in a les paul or sumthing like.
The X2N and D-Activators aren't active pickups. Duncan Blackouts and Livewires are pretty much EMG's main competition. Epiphone just released some active pickups but they probably aren't very good. Oh, and the Schecter C-1 and C-1 FR has a Duncan Designed active set called HB-105, but I don't know much about them.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by freakypop
EMG!!!

as i said ¬_¬

EMG's too thin. If you're buying a £2-350 guitar then EMG HZ's are good an all maybe even EMG 81/85, but they seriously sap your tone! The 60's gotta be the best one (Lefts thank Jim Root for showing us all )
Quote by mafropetee
The X2N and D-Activators aren't active pickups. Duncan Blackouts and Livewires are pretty much EMG's main competition. Epiphone just released some active pickups but they probably aren't very good. Oh, and the Schecter C-1 and C-1 FR has a Duncan Designed active set called HB-105, but I don't know much about them.

No i know they're not active, but they designed to sound damn close. Those EpiActives are actually not bad sounding as it goes (Played on a Futura and an EM-1 and by god i cant wait to start saving for one!) Duncan Designed are good but as i said im kinda leaving them pickups with the intermediate guitars. These pickups are going in my baby! Its a MIJ Circa '74, Columbus 'Super-Tele', with pointed headstock, blood red finish, black binding and an 80's made Schaller FR I wanna make this thing scream from deep inside.
Quote by nyandres
well active pickups are thin. If you want sound with character get some passives.
+1

Passive pickups can be made to increases top/mid/bottom end and so fill out your tone more, but actives don't. Actives will always have a more 'bare' tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you can use actives and an EQ pedal to get more of YOUR tone out of the p/ups

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Good choice on not getting the 81 and 85, you can't do **** with them as far as using the volume control to roll back volume and get a different tone that doesn't sound like crap.

Well I plan on getting a Steve's Special DiMarzio Bridge pickup. Look into it here:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
It's under High Gain, and is high on the Bass-o-meter, but check out the sound clips. It's got a scooped mid range that gives it definition and clarity. Sounds sweet. DiMarzio has a pretty intuitive site all around when trying to get what you're looking for. You can use the Pickup Picker in the right hand corner of the screen to find the sound you want
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
go for some passives for sure
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12