so, my friend is making a bass, and check out these ideas and give some opinions
1- Its going to have a pink floyd body kit modified for a bass
2- 38 frets (possible?)
3- maple neck
4- Lime green color body with black stripes throught out the guitar
5- custom made pickguard, its gonna have like an oval shape
6- and USB pickups

any other ideas?
░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
▓▓▓▓▓░░░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ It's a-me, Mario!
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░

Check out my
Tumblr
Or follow me on Twitter
ommmm USB Pickups im not too sure on the possibility of this or even if anyone actually sells such a beast as a USB pickup

38 frets yes possible not practical id personally do 36 if i was going for extended fretboard and i would use a single musicman style humbucking pickup close to the bridge as well as doing the build as a neckthrough.

btw how the **** does ur friend thick hes going to achieve full fret access

and @ guy above me that kind of range would be insanely good for two handed tapping it would also allow for some very interesting harmonies between a guitarist and a bassist
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at May 2, 2008,
yeah, You get basses with rediculous numbers of frets, but they're usually through necks, with a cutaway that goes right into the body, Try searching for them on google images.

EDIT:
Last edited by jimRH7 at May 3, 2008,
Quote by DeAd-RiP

and @ guy above me that kind of range would be insanely good for two handed tapping it would also allow for some very interesting harmonies between a guitarist and a bassist

two hand tapping on a bass??
*calls bassist*

yeah, if u want that many frets, do neckthrough
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
It seems ridiculous to me to have that many frets. Each string would span three octaves and two semitones . . . Therefore, it would have all the notes (and two semitones more) as the first four strings of a normal six string guitar in standard, as well as the lower bass octave. It just seems pointless to me, especially considering that basses typically use much bigger fretwire, and therefore the frets would get VERY close together very fast.

IMO, if you want both then you should make a double neck guitar, bass on bottom, guitar on top. Would look WAY cooler and would be far more playable.

But of course, that's my opinion. Despite the fact that I would discourage anyone who asked me, I would love to see it just because I never have - so if your friend has his/her heart set on it, power to y'all and be sure to post pics!

As for USB p'ups, I've never seen them before, though I have seen a USB guitar. Never a bass though. It'd be cool if y'posted links if you saw some though!

Peace out
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
I'd focus on a little longer then standard neck with the floyd rose. But i'd make it a neckthrough and just focus on making a really nice bass.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
^i was wondering about the pink floyd body kit as well.

if he wants 38 frets, and since even flow is right about how thick the frets are and how close together they get, why not just do 30 frets and fretless from that point up. as long as the fretboard extends far enough he'll get the range he wants from it and it'll be easier to play that high. he could inlay some very thin strips of wood on the fretless part to maintain the look if he wanted too as well.
38 frets?
would he leave the bass on a stand and walk around the room just to get to the first fret? xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
i was thinknig about making a bass with a bass kahler and 36 frets
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
two hand tapping on a bass??
*calls bassist*

yeah, if u want that many frets, do neckthrough

*facedesk*

you can play whole piano sonata's on a bass and its a little different to tapping on guitar tho most ppl assume YEAH TAPPING *plays eruption* then fall over and die wen the bassist starts playin leik Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata or something

but another idea for this guy who wants an insanely long fretboard why not just make a 6 string SOOOOO much more convenient
I am me. Live with it.
ANy reason why you can't use guitar frets past no.24? I don't see why it'd be a problem - on most guitars i've seen, the frets wear out quicker on the higher strings. As for space, I don't think it'll be any worse than a half scale guitar.
You should just make it stick shaped for maximum fret access, and put eight strings on it. Put a single coil pickup as close to the bridge as possible then fret put frets on it until the fret touches the pickup, hell, even try to squeeze on fret on the pickup itself. Now talk about convenience!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by shotbythepope
You should just make it stick shaped for maximum fret access, and put eight strings on it. Put a single coil pickup as close to the bridge as possible then fret put frets on it until the fret touches the pickup, hell, even try to squeeze on fret on the pickup itself. Now talk about convenience!

Then you could put a logo on the headstock that says Chapman and call it a Stick!

Seriously though why doesn't he just add more strings and make it an ERB. Much better economy of motion. Tell him to use banjo or mandolin frets instead of Jumbo its makes the neck faster to play on.
Quote by DeAd-RiP

but another idea for this guy who wants an insanely long fretboard why not just make a 6 string SOOOOO much more convenient

This man speaks smart truth.
I got some good guitars, yo.
With strings as thick as they are on a bass, I think it would be very hard to get any sort of playability on the higher frets as they'd be really narrow. There are guitars with more frets than usual but the strings are much lighter.

So yeah, I'd also go with more strings rather than more frets.
Quote by jimRH7
yeah, You get basses with rediculous numbers of frets, but they're usually through necks, with a cutaway that goes right into the body, Try searching for them on google images.

EDIT:

that thing is crazy looking
erb's are sweet i play them, no i dont own one but i will when i get a job or sell more drugs
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff