If you play let say sweet child o mine, in standard tuning, would it sound bad? Does the singer have to change the way he sings if his band plays it in standard or can he still sing like the same way axl did on the record?
No it won't sound bad. It will sound a half step up. That means the singer needs to sing each note a semitone higher than on the record. The bassist must play every note one semitone higher also. This goes for any tuning/instrument.
do you have to change how you sing also? B/c i want to play Texas Flood, but I don't want to tune half step down, and I was wondering if you have to sing higher than what SRV did. The reason for this is I don't have a low voice like Hendrix, SRV has.
Quote by lpmarshall
do you have to change how you sing also? B/c i want to play Texas Flood, but I don't want to tune half step down, and I was wondering if you have to sing higher than what SRV did. The reason for this is I don't have a low voice like Hendrix, SRV has.
You will have to do everything 1/2 step higher, including sing.

Conversely, you could tune down 1/2 step and just sing an octave higher than SRV.
it depends... if it's harder for you to sing it a little higher, than you might have to change the way you sing it. but if you can sing it very well in the original key, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem
Quote by lpmarshall

Neither one of them had a low voice; you should be able to replicate the range fine, it's just the tone of the voices that was unique.
The singing shouldn't be a problem. It'll be a natural transition, most likely. Ever notice how you can always sing/hum/whistle in key and notice the moments you're off key?
another reason why i ask this is that i don't want to constanstly change tunings. I just want to keep it on standard. Unless if my guitar will be fine if I regulary tune down half step and go back to standard.
Quote by lpmarshall
another reason why i ask this is that i don't want to constanstly change tunings. I just want to keep it on standard. Unless if my guitar will be fine if I regulary tune down half step and go back to standard.

I retune to different tunings at least ten times a day and my guitars fine. Holds tuning beautifully too.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by lpmarshall

Yeah, you'll be fine.

RedDeath9: That avatar is great, I love Nu.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You will have to do everything 1/2 step higher, including sing.

If you do everything half a step higher then you can sing at normal pitch, can't you?