Hello.. I've been playing guitar for a couple years, and have been playing alot recently that my parents want to get a new amp/guitar for me (cuz the one I have right now is that crappy combo thing that everyone got as a starter,... the fender squir one with the 39w amp.. yeah u guys all kno which one i'm talkin about ... but yeah) So i've wanted to step up... and have researched alot.. etc. and basically i've narrowed it down to this ..

well.. ok basicaly the kind of music i like to listen to and play is anywhere between metal to hardcore ... to even alternative. So the guitar i'm DEFINITIVELY getting is the ESP LTD F400 ... yeah but the amp, i'm still trying to decide... I've narrowed it down to these:

I was definitely guna get a line 6 Spider 3 amp.. but I was thinkin either.... to get the line 6 spider 3 75 75w HEAD (250 bux) .. coupled with a Marshall cab (330 bux) ... [the reason for this one was because I DEFINITELY want a line 6 head or combo, and the Marshall cab's are supposed to be really nice and clear, just better quality or whatever, and I've read that the line 6 heads are very nice, but their cabs are a bit on the crappy side.. so thats the reason for option 1 ... and option two was guna be just to get a line 6 spider 3 150 75w x2 COMBO amp.. and that only costs 500 or something, even as a matter of fact... the 75 75w amp is only 300! so... those were guna be my two choices, oh and oh yeah, the reason for the second one was to be because I can get an upgrade from the 75 to 150 .. with costing even less! but the downside is i dont get the marshal cab, which as i explained above i think people say it sounds just better quality

... so some people help me out please!!! I really appreciate it guys, and definitely like give me tips and stuff, I'd love that !! and just please try to explain like the two diferent options, pro's con's w/e... thanks a bunch guys

- Dark
Quote by darkfire2020
Hello.. I've been playing guitar for a couple years, and have been playing alot recently that my parents want to get a new amp/guitar for me (cuz the one I have right now is that crappy combo thing that everyone got as a starter,... the fender squir one with the 39w amp.. yeah u guys all kno which one i'm talkin about ... but yeah) So i've wanted to step up... and have researched alot.. etc. and basically i've narrowed it down to this ..

well.. ok basicaly the kind of music i like to listen to and play is anywhere between metal to hardcore ... to even alternative. So the guitar i'm DEFINITIVELY getting is the ESP LTD F400 ... yeah but the amp, i'm still trying to decide... I've narrowed it down to these:

I was definitely guna get a line 6 Spider 3 amp.. but I was thinkin either.... to get the line 6 spider 3 75 75w HEAD (250 bux) .. coupled with a Marshall cab (330 bux) ... [the reason for this one was because I DEFINITELY want a line 6 head or combo, and the Marshall cab's are supposed to be really nice and clear, just better quality or whatever, and I've read that the line 6 heads are very nice, but their cabs are a bit on the crappy side.. so thats the reason for option 1 ... and option two was guna be just to get a line 6 spider 3 150 75w x2 COMBO amp.. and that only costs 500 or something, even as a matter of fact... the 75 75w amp is only 300! so... those were guna be my two choices, oh and oh yeah, the reason for the second one was to be because I can get an upgrade from the 75 to 150 .. with costing even less! but the downside is i dont get the marshal cab, which as i explained above i think people say it sounds just better quality

... so some people help me out please!!! I really appreciate it guys, and definitely like give me tips and stuff, I'd love that !! and just please try to explain like the two diferent options, pro's con's w/e... thanks a bunch guys

- Dark

If you're going to come here for help with an amp and suggest a Line 6 Spider III I'm telling you right now, you aren't going to get much positive things about that. That and also the Marshall MG Series. As for me though, I'm going for a Vox Valvetronix but I'm pretty sure you can find much better than that.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Ok, I'm in before the crowd. Unless you plan on playing gigs, don't get the halfstack, go for the combo and 75 watt 2x12 is way to much. Maybe 75 watt 1x12 or less is fine. Oh, and also, be prepared, the Line 6 isn't exactly the most loved amp around here. Have you played any other amps? It doesn't sound like you've even played it, so I would go down to GC and try out all the amps they have there that suit your styles. If you want built in effects/good SS go Valvetronix or maybe Randall, depending on what you're into.
bro, you NEVER want an MG or Spider as a UPGRADE. to future posters on this thread, let's NOT waste time flaming him or the amps b/c we should concentrate on a better setup.

simply put bro, DONT get a halfstack, ur paying more money for it to be a halfstack and the quality in sound is gonna suck ASS. you need to understand right now that unless you buy used, GREAT SOUNDING halfstacks are gonna cost $800 or more roughly.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take our advice on this one. look into the randall series. or maybe even a Roland Micro cube 60.

i can't stress enough how much i don't wanna come back to this thread reading posts upon posts of amp flaming, FOCUS ON SUGGESTING HIM A GOOD AMP!!!

and last note, this needs to be moved to GG&A. i'm ashamed to say i still don't know how to get the right person to know when a thread is misplaced accidentally, but it needs to go ahead and happen.

that's my advice bro, i hope you appreciate it some!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
im no expert, so do not do exactly as i say, but consider this

when i got my electric i got a line 6 amp,they are very inexpensive,the distortions are cool, and it hasnt failed me yet
Jake
no offense dragonrider, but how long have you been playing? he's upgrading from his first practicing amp. hes gonna need something with really good tone. the spiders will sound like ass when he turns it up. someone please come in here and give me some support before this kid makes a VERY UNWISE purchase!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
it sounds like he hasn't even played a Line 6. come one darkfire, go to a music store and decide for yourself. D O N O T P U R C H A S E W I T H O U T P L A Y I N G.
What kind of music do you play? Maybe an Epiphone Valve Junior and a pedal or something. The Valvetronix series are pretty good, but not the XL. Replace the preamp tube with an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 or something and I hear it helps the tone out a great deal. Get a gold one

Edit: Purchased the Legacy without playing, and it burns. But you know, heavy research went into it.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
I suggest you go to gitarcenter.com, check what's on your price range, search for reviews and get to the store to try everything out

And don't buy a half-stack..A combo amp will have as much volume as you need it to (maybe even more) and you'll get better sound for the same money or less

and finally..are you playing in a band? do you gig? just be carefull..and to pick a 100 watt amp if you won't be able to turn it past 1..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

okay, let`s see. it seems like you have about 600? if you are into classic rock, peavey classic 30 or palomino v32. if metal is more your thing, b-52 at112.
/THREAD
yeah, thanks guys for the help, so basically, erm, comes down to what im going to play? I was thinking along the lines with friends - erm, metalcore - hardcore... that should help a bit more, erm, so like, yeah what other amps?
the B-52 sounds right up your alley. A good OD and you have a buzzy Mesa, but you don't really hear it if your playing.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
buy a combo unless you're gonna play gigs. tubes are loud. buy used amps for sure. even barely used slashes off like 30% retail.( i.e. amp retail is 1100. used for 50ish hours=400-500 if you're kinda lucky usually 650-750ish
Quote by apak
buy a combo unless you're gonna play gigs.

What? since when were halfstacks compulsory for gigging? I've never gigged with more than a 1x12" combo (and very occasionally with a 112 extension cab). When our van's fully loaded with drums, PA, bass rig and my other guitarist's amp, there's very little space left over....so a halfstack would be a complete pain in the arse, for virtually no tonal benefit. 100W stacks and the like effectively became obsolete in the mid 80s, with the advent of affordable, good sounding PA systems. Now people use them purely as a tonal choice, to add more air to their sound.

Anyway, I agree that the B52 combo looks like a good deal. We don't get them in the UK but reviews seem very favorable. You could also try the new Bugera amps.
it's his first day here on UG looks like

do this:
Search box
read as many threads, stickys, rules and faq's as you can before posting.
keep thread as short and too the point as you can in the correct forum and reference the fact you have been searching...good luck and welcome to the UG

;