alrite simply put i'm lead guitar in praise and worship band at church. i'm tryin to get the band to play more stuff w/ lead parts and solos and dare i say, classic rock, feel. we have played a couple third day songs which is great b/c they sound so good. that's the kinda stuff i want us to get more into.

the sound i'm looking for is kinda southern rock type, crunchy but not really gainy type overdrive. we're trying to keep it experimental but at the same time acceptable for the traditional (elder) ones lol.

so CHRISTIAN ( i stress this bc we CANNOT play secular- anything other than christian pretty much- music in church)

seeing as 90% of what i listen to is secular, i need advice from the UG members who have been in the same situation or know christian music that fits the sound style. i'm open to all ideas and to give you an idea of what we could do this is our usual setup:

drummer

rhythm guitarist- ALWAYS plays clean and through an ibanez artcore. he won't play w/ gain, so it's not too much use trying to change that atm.

rhythm/lead guitarist-im game for ANYTHING. but to keep in taste, bluesy bends and classic rock feel

bass player- game for anything like me

two male singers

two female singers

alrite guys i appreciate your help, i need to start finding some new stuff pronto!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Man, I was in that same boat about a month ago. We tried putting Christian words to rock songs, or music from rock songs to lyrics from praise songs. If your band was anything like ours then there's pretty much no hope in doing anything original, but if you could get them to it'd be awesome.
to do original stuff that is CHRISTIAN would be a lil tougher (lyrical wise) than just plain out raw rock n roll. now that i think about it that IS pretty cool!!! putting new lyrics to classic songs, i did that with knocking on heaven's door for a english project in 11th grade- it was no doubt the most fun and best in the class lol.

sadly though, if anyone HEARS something from a song that is secular, whether it be a riff or chorus or solo, they're not gonna wanna do it just b/c we don't wanna jump too far ahead of ourselves.

on a side note: we have this rule at practice where we pretty much try not to play ANYTHING secular once practice starts, like in between songs and stuff, no secular riffs or solos. so i started doing this chicken-pickin' thing and my bud goes "hey, no secular stuff remember" and i said "i was jus doin a simple little thing" and he said "that sounded like somethin from the Who man, jus try not to play anything that sounds secular" and i responded finally with "well let's see, EVERY song in the world uses some kind of technique or scale you'd hear in another type of music so you're bound to hear something that sounds 'secular' while listening to christian rock right?" and we dropped it b/c we're buds and not out to top the other really.

i'm surprised no one's really responded to this, i guess it's not that interesting. but i miss where you look for the threads about spiders and MGs before you look for threads that require genuine help first. oh well i'm sure another UG member will chime in soon! i have faith haha.

but i'm thinking of listening to some more Third day, what else would you think UG?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
still lookin for any (serious) suggestions and giving a bump. and yes i have been waiting in periods of a couple hours so far. i'm not exacty trying to rush, but i would like to have them researched before monday so i can start playing them.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
cover the hillsong songs with solos
take inspiration from them?
im in my church band and we don't write our own songs but take fairly popular ones and change the riffs a bit, make it a bit bluesy or a bit rocky and i normally do solos in bridges
it would be pretty hard to write your own so i would just do that
take songs and change them slightly

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Look up Petra. You might have heard of them, they're a Christian rock band from the 60's and they just retired awhile ago. 'Jekyll and Hyde' and 'Perfect World' are awesome.
thank you blindpilot i'll look into them!!

to jonny,

i do the same thing in our 'bridges' usually. sometimes at the start of a song i have a short solo too. only problem with taking songs and changing them up a lil, the rhythm guitarist isn't gonna be down with that. he doesn't have but one style....chord strumming in the style of jack johnson or something like that. he does not have ANY originality or signature sound to himself. and he WONT change that anytime soon, specially since he sees guitar only as a hobby now....instead of a passion like it is for me. it's kinda sad, but i can't do anything about it. if i press too much, it's not gonna be much fun for him b/c it'll seem forced....but i really appreciate ur advice bro!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH