Example ^

I've been saving up and decided to use the money to get some pedals, got tired of my multi-effect pedal. I wanna get better effects and look more pro, if you know what I mean

This is gonna be my first effect pedal case (or whatever you call it) and I'm not really a effects expert. I just know my delay and my distortion.

Anyways, I see how people say "I built my own case" everywhere. I don't know if they sell pre-built cases, but I wanna build my own (you know, for that sense of love after you worked so hard to make your own things, plus, add the pedals that fit my playing style). Here go a few questions about this, anyway.

- How do I connect all the pedals together? Just use a short guitar cable from input-input/output/whatever?

- What are the MUST have effect pedals? (I play Rock/Progressive/Experimental/Metalcore) I, for sure, am getting a delay pedal and a loop pedal.

- What money should I shell out on this?

- Brands to look out for? (good brands/bad brands)

- What the hell is a wah-wah?

- Even after having all these individual effect pedals, should I keep a multi-effect pedal in the case as well?

- Any extra stuff I should know about, write about it here please.
For your music, distortion is the only thing you NEED. But everything else helps a little. Loops are fun, but sometimes impractical. Delay is alrite, not a fan of it...useful for a few songs.

Wah's make the "Wah" sound. Serious. Slash uses it a lot in his solos, metallica used it a lot.
Check out Enter Sandman Solo for big Wah use. Or wherever I may roam. Both by Metallica.
I wouldn't worry about a pedal board yfor a while yet, especially if you don't even know what a lot of pedals do! I've only just got round to building my pedalboard even though I've been gigging for years, if you're only using a few effects it's easier to just set them up on the floor at gigs and use batteries for power.

At the moment it sounds like you don't have enough knowledge to warrant a large pedal setup. If you want t know what different effects do, the Behringer pedals are extremely cheap and some of them sound pretty decent too, a great way to work out what you like and what you don't. If you've got a multi-fx unit you can mess around with that to get a rough idea what you'll use regularly.
Quote by kyle62
I wouldn't worry about a pedal board yfor a while yet, especially if you don't even know what a lot of pedals do! I've only just got round to building my pedalboard even though I've been gigging for years, if you're only using a few effects it's easier to just set them up on the floor at gigs and use batteries for power.

At the moment it sounds like you don't have enough knowledge to warrant a large pedal setup. If you want t know what different effects do, the Behringer pedals are extremely cheap and some of them sound pretty decent too, a great way to work out what you like and what you don't. If you've got a multi-fx unit you can mess around with that to get a rough idea what you'll use regularly.

That's the main reason I want to build my own case, so I can get to know the effects. The multi-effect pedal I own is a crappy digi-tech, 40 effects (duplicated for customization) 50 dollar pedal. It's easy to experiment with but I honestly am not learning what each effect can do by its individual self. I know that by mixing and making my own distortions and mixing it with crazy effects I can learn how to have my own sound, and master these effects.
Dude, just go out and buy a wah pedal (cry baby if you dont know what to look for) and just start experimenting. If you dont even know what a wah is, you dont need a pedal board.