Alright there's a bunch of guitars I've been looking at lately but right now I'm sort of torn toward 2. Having not a whole lot of personal experience with either I'll ask you guys for advice!

ESP EX 400 new which is about 600
ESP Alexi 200 used w/ EMG 81, and Floyd Rose + whatever.
ESP Alexi 600 ( Used )

I love metal. I want a guitar that will last and of best value but also sound the best. Like would the 200 and 600 be THAT different even though I replace some of the much needed features? Even then the EX 400 is awesome and has 2 humbuckers and the Alexi 600 only has one.
Since it's used, I'm gonna guess that the Alexi 200 isn't one of the newer ones with basswood instead of agathis.

I would just get the EX400. It will blow away both the Alexis in terms of value.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Since it's used, I'm gonna guess that the Alexi 200 isn't one of the newer ones with basswood instead of agathis.

I would just get the EX400. It will blow away both the Alexis in terms of value.

I never had one used one in sight. I'd just check out used ones once I got the money.
EX 400 looks badass and the price looks like a steal. I love the Alexi look though and 24 frets + floyd rose seems decent but I have a feeling since it's a signature it might be priced a little high.
Quote by Seef
I never had one used one in sight. I'd just check out used ones once I got the money.
EX 400 looks badass and the price looks like a steal. I love the Alexi look though and 24 frets + floyd rose seems decent but I have a feeling since it's a signature it might be priced a little high.

Even if it were all new, I would still go with the EX-400.

If you want a locking trem and 24 frets, look into an M-400 or MH-400, or maybe even an F-2E with a pickup change.
Quote by mafropetee
Even if it were all new, I would still go with the EX-400.

If you want a locking trem and 24 frets, look into an M-400 or MH-400, or maybe even an F-2E with a pickup change.

I probably would rarely use those last 2 frets... just nice to know there there I guess. And floyd roses aren't too expensive are they?

I'm pretty set on the EX now. Maybe buy an Alexi later on in life ( Listening to too much Bodom lately )... who knows.
Quote by Seef
I probably would rarely use those last 2 frets... just nice to know there there I guess. And floyd roses aren't too expensive are they?

I'm pretty set on the EX now. Maybe buy an Alexi later on in life ( Listening to too much Bodom lately )... who knows.

An OFR will run you about $180 (various LFRs are a bit less), but you gotta factor in the cost of having the guitar routed out for it, and when it's all said and done you would have been better off buying a guitar with a locking trem in the first place. Just something to consider.
Quote by Seef

It's not as much as using those last 2 frets as it is how comfortable it is to play to the 20th fret or the 19th etc. Much easier with those extra ones.
Quote by mafropetee
An OFR will run you about $180 (various LFRs are a bit less), but you gotta factor in the cost of having the guitar routed out for it, and when it's all said and done you would have been better off buying a guitar with a locking trem in the first place. Just something to consider.

I had under $100 in my mind for some odd reason.

Another thing you guys might want to take into consideration is this guitar is going to be playing for pretty much metal only so whammy bar would be awesome. Whenever I play something else I'd probably just use my strat. The EX looks kinda plain to me but I know I'd buy the Alexi 200, mod it and have the thing fall apart and be down $600.
Quote by Seef

Another thing you guys might want to take into consideration is this guitar is going to be playing for pretty much metal only so whammy bar would be awesome. Whenever I play something else I'd probably just use my strat. The EX looks kinda plain to me but I know I'd buy the Alexi 200, mod it and have the thing fall apart and be down $600.

Would that be an issue?