Page 1 of 2
What do you say is the most versital guitar, and give reasons also, not just strat vs. les paul vs. SG camps, acctual reasons...thanks in advance
The most versatile guitar is a versatile amp...

But seriously probably a HSS Fender strat, or really any HSS guitar...
strat. Great tone, good playablility, easy to mod, great pickups, fits just about anything, and fits everything with the right changes.

But hey, don't listen to me, as i have a huge bias towards strats.
Quote by TaintedFearSBT
line 6 variax (didnt say it had to sound good)

+1

though i've never actually tried one out.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
A Fender American Fat Strat. It's got an HSS setup, so it can do pretty much any genre decently with a good amp. Plus the necks aren't really specified to one style of playing. They're not incredibly thin so that shredders will prefer it, but they're not Gibson thick.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
An American Strat. Where in the last 50+ years have you not seen a strat beeing played. You can blues it, rock it, metal it, country it, jazz it, classical, and whatever else -the strat can do it.

EDIT: With practise of course...
cheers betch
Ibanez S series with the H-S-H config with the right pickups.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
ESP M200 or MH250, They are hands down the most versitile everything guitars, except for downtuning, though I think a whammy bar with locking nut is more versitile than a stop tail, you get more things to do. Plus neck thru body design, 24 frets, Humbuckers with coil taps. And they can be had for under 400 dollars.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Strats are limiting because they only have 21 frets, hard to bend up to compensate for higher notes like on the 24th fret.

american Strat = 22 frets, which is enough for most times, but on the rare occasion you just have to BBBEEENNNNDDDD!
high end PRS. Come with the five way selector to spplit the humbuckers and get a strat sound. Or run full humbuckers and rock out.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
I think it's a tie

Les Pauls are tonally the most versatile. There isn't a single genre that they can't get a good tone for and most pedals and amps now are built assuming you're going to be using an HH heavy-bodied guitar with them so the LP is like the standard for the industry. No matter what you play, somewhere will be an LP that suits you. The downsides are they're not as playable as strats for most people, they cost more and they're a bit more of a pain to have customised or repaired.

HHH Stratocaster or Super-Strat with coil taps is the most versatile in terms of functionality and playability. You've got a fairly slim neck, the two big cutaways for unblocked fret access, a trem bar, it will be light, and strats tend to be the easiest and cheapest guitars to have modded or get fixed. The downside is I don't think strats are tonally as versatile and there are a few genres I think they just outright should never be used in because of that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I think it's a tie

Les Pauls are tonally the most versatile. There isn't a single genre that they can't get a good tone for and most pedals and amps now are built assuming you're going to be using an HH heavy-bodied guitar with them so the LP is like the standard for the industry. No matter what you play, somewhere will be an LP that suits you. The downsides are they're not as playable as strats for most people, they cost more and they're a bit more of a pain to have customised or repaired.

I can't see John Frusciante playing much of his stuff on a LP.. It just wouldn't be the same.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
I can't see John Frusciante playing much of his stuff on a LP.. It just wouldn't be the same.

i feel ya. he just doesn't look right at all when he's not playing a fender. like when he busts out the white falcon for californication and the gibson LP for readymade.

if i had to pick a guitar i guess it would be a PRS.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Strats are limiting because they only have 21 frets, hard to bend up to compensate for higher notes like on the 24th fret.

Americans has 22.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Some sorta PRS.I can't remember what's the name of the model though,I remember it has 9 types of tones.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Some sorta PRS.I can't remember what's the name of the model though,I remember it has 9 types of tones.

PRS 513?
My Cort G290 is good. It has SSH pickups worth $400 together, and each pickup has it own sound, so i can get different sounds out of them. Its good to shred on and good to play chords, riffs and stuff on, good tremolo system.
Guitar: Cort G290
Amp: Laney LX65R
Pedal: Korg AX3G Multi-Effect
I'd say the most versatile guitar is a HSH strat with coil taps for the neck and bridge. (with or without a floyd). One could do nearly anything with this combination.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 3, 2008,
Quote by TaintedFearSBT
line 6 variax (didnt say it had to sound good)

Even though for a purely digital guitar it does sound pretty nice.

Quote by Horlicks
PRS 513?

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 3, 2008,
Even though I'm not a freak for stratocasters, stratocasters are absolutely the most versatile guitar made. HSS configuration enables it to do nice bell like tones / low gain, and the humbucker helps it reach those high gains, slap on a Floyd Rose and do some dive bombs and squealies.

Only negative is too little frets, but I highly doubt most people will be playing right up at the neck alot
Quote by j.pagejr.
An American Strat. Where in the last 50+ years have you not seen a strat beeing played. You can blues it, rock it, metal it, country it, jazz it, classical, and whatever else -the strat can do it.

EDIT: With practise of course...

+1
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
These threads always turn into "name your favorite guitar/your guitar" threads after the first few quality posts.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
HSS Strat
or
PRS Custom 24
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by fitbband
Gibson Les Paul, hands down, period.

BOOOOOO

They're right about the strat, its like the most versatile thing ever.
The VG Strat.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
fender telecaster!

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
WITHOUT A DOUBT BLADES RH-4. These are similar to strat in look and have a HSS config. But have **** loads of imbuilt electronics. My teacher has one and they can literally go from twanky strat into thick sustained LP in a flick of a switch. But they are semi customs from swizerland
Anyone that knows how to play these styles can do it on any guitar so its not really the guitar as much as it is the amp.
Page 1 of 2