Hey, my name is andrew and i play classic rock and blues

Im looking for a great overdrive pedal for 200 dollars or less. I want one that will emulate the sound of jimmy page and eric clapton. doesnt have to be fancy, just drive, volume and a tone nob will do it =)

i currently have a mexican strat and an epiphone valve junior (no distortion channel), and have been playing for three and a half years (if that helps)
tubescreamer, OCD, maybe some kind of Fuzz. get out there and try em. you will likely fall in love with one.
I'm pretty sure that tubescreamers the the standard for what you're looking for. A fuzz face might do the job too.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
The Barber tone pump is one of the best 808's out there plus its two channels but its like $225.00
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
off topic...but im thinking about upgrading my OCD for a Barber Tone Pump...what do you think modernp?
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
i looked up a bunch of demos, unfortunately i cant try em unless i get a ride to guitar center =( but the ocd sounds really good, and the tube screamers. i tried a lot of fuzz pedals before and didnt really like em tho
A fuzz would probably serve you better for Page and Clapton. Something like a FuzzFace (clone) or a ToneBender clone.
the mi audio neo fuzz is really nice for clapton. its very transparent for fuzz. its also really versitile although dont expect it to sound like od. if od is what you want there are a hundred right answers. the market is crowded with great pedals. fulltone, catalinbread, mi audio, trex ect
Hmm, so much choice...

Try the Fulltone OCD/ Full-drive 2, Skreddy Pedals Screw Driver, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Crowther Hot Cake, Maxon OD808, BBE Green Screamer, MXR GT-OD, and whatever else you you can get your grubby mitts on. Fuzz is really the best for the Page sound, but many modern fuzzes and reissues are too harsh and won't sound great, particularly with the Valve Junior's small speaker.

I wouldn't bother with the current Ibanez TubeScreamer reissues either, the Digitech Bad Monkey is just as good (perhaps even better, in my opinion) for a third of the price.
id try something that is a tubescreamer (or clone), probably an 808 (or clone). and a fuzz will be nice for some of their stuff. a tonebender clone will be good for early Zep-era page. i made one and i love it. its pretty much my go-to pedal for leads.
Aside from those mentoned, what about the EHX Geranium OD? Also, my ideal setup for OD pedals would be an EHX Double Muff, and a TS-808 Reissue on the same board.

Don't you get decent OD from your Valve Junior? A treble booster might be a good option for some of the stuff you are into.
If you don't mind it not being vintage (it's botique though), a Skreddy Screwdriver runs for $200 direct I believe.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by greggybhoy
Aside from those mentoned, what about the EHX Geranium OD? Also, my ideal setup for OD pedals would be an EHX Double Muff, and a TS-808 Reissue on the same board.

Don't you get decent OD from your Valve Junior? A treble booster might be a good option for some of the stuff you are into.

i dont think the muff would be all that suited cause its a bit scooped. i havent tried the germanium od but it sounds niiiice on youtube. thats like halfway between od an fuzz to my ears.
The Ibanez Tubescreamer is #1 in the overdrive pedal world, hands down. For classic rock, (what I play mostly) it's the standard, and the same pedal most of the classic rock players have used for years. You can find them on ebay now and then, usually they'll end up around $200. Page used an overdrive pedal, I'm not sure what brand. That and a wah were his only effects for most of the Zeppelin years. I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive, I like it really well but have fun finding one, I've never seen another. TS808 and TS 9 tube screamers are the standard. The Maxon is the exact same thing, Maxon made them for Ibanez, I've heard good reviews of them but never played one. My Ibanez SD 9 has Maxon stamped inside, I also have a dead TS 9 (drowned) that also has Maxon stamped into the box and silk screened onto the circuit board.

And keep in mind overdrive IS NOT a distortion pedal. It will add a little gain, but not actual distortion. I use a vintage Ibanez Sonic Distortion (SD 9) for that. It's basically a tubescreamer with more hair.

If you can find one, the old Morley Power Wah pedals (the one in the chrome box) have a good overdrive built in, plus volume pedal and wah all switchable except the volume pedal, it's always on. I used one for many years until it self destructed, I'd love to get another one.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by no_thing101
i dont think the muff would be all that suited cause its a bit scooped. i havent tried the germanium od but it sounds niiiice on youtube. thats like halfway between od an fuzz to my ears.

The Double Muff, which is the one I was talking about, is far from scooped sounding. IMO, it is worlds apart, not to mention, better, than the regular Big Muff, and Little Big Muff.
Doesn't digitech make a Clapton signature pedal? Because that should do it.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith Standard 24
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
77 Les Paul Deluxe
Mesa Dual Rect (eurotube personal fav tubes)
Randall 4X12 (v30's & G12T-75’s)
Quote by W0288307
Doesn't digitech make a Clapton signature pedal? Because that should do it.

Well it should, yes. But it doesn't.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Am i the only person who emitted a jocose chortle at him referring to it as a 'nob'?

aside from that, tubescreamer
lol@u
Quote by modernp
The Barber tone pump is one of the best 808's out there plus its two channels but its like $225.00

i know a guy who has one of those...it's a pretty good sound.

like others have said, try some stuff. find a guitar center.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone