I'm getting a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger, so what kind of amp should I get?
(cheaper price range, 100-600 dollars)
I know the Line 6 Spider III amp is overrated, but would that be a good metal sounding amp in that price range?
Also, if I got that amp, would buying the Line 6 Pod X3 be redundant/over doing it? If not, then what amp should I get with that? Or should I just get plain cab with it?
I want a nice, thick, crunchy tone with crisp, clear highs.
Quote by The_Boogeyman
I want a nice, thick, crunchy tone with crisp, clear highs.

Let's just throw out a half dozen $200 words, shall we?

Do you mean $600, or $100? For $600, you're in 5150 range. For $100, you're stuck with a 15 watt Spider, or used Microcube.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Let's just throw out a half dozen $200 words, shall we?

Do you mean $600, or $100? For $600, you're in 5150 range. For $100, you're stuck with a 15 watt Spider, or used Microcube.

Just making myself clear... haha. And I mean anywhere between 100 to 600. I don't know why I said cheaper...
Quote by knotslip
this is serious **** man

I know, man.
I'm not quite grasping what you mean by I need to buy an amp for my guitar too, though... that's kinda what I was attempting to do.
oh totally man.

you should get one of the big vox stack amps. played one the other day. its great no jokes
Quote by knotslip
AD100VT-XL thats the model name
one of the voxes i tried yesterdy

$600 can get him all-tube, AD series is hybrid.

so far the 5150 sounds like your best bet.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
$600 can get him all-tube, AD series is hybrid.

so far the 5150 sounds like your best bet.

whats hybrid??
Quote by knotslip
whats hybrid??

It means the preamp section is solid state and the power section has one tube. The tube doesn't really make a difference, though. The AD series is good, but all-tube is better.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
It means the preamp section is solid state and the power section has one tube. The tube doesn't really make a difference, though. The AD series is good, but all-tube is better.

other way around I thought... tube preamp

anyways Vox might not be best for metal.

peavey Valve king, 5150/6505,

randall

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Quote by stangconv
other way around I thought... tube preamp

Most hybrid amps have the tube in the preamp, but the Vox Valvetronix series has it in the poweramp section.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Most hybrid amps have the tube in the preamp, but the Vox Valvetronix series has it in the poweramp section.

Oh good god I'm confused. I was right the first time?

WELL EITHER WAY, HYBRID IS PART-TUBE!
So... I'm a little confused. Which to get? Is the 5150 on Musiciansfriend?

And also, is buying the Line 6 Spider III and getting the Line 6 Pod X3 overdoing it?
You won't find the 5150 you're looking for on musiciansfriend, thats a much newer amp and not nearly the same.

DON'T GET THE SPIDER! Definitely find yourself a used 5150 combo amp. The original.
6505 is the same amp as the 5150, so look for those too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
If the 6505 is the same amp as the 5150, and I said my price range was 100 dollars to 600 dollars... then why is it on musiciansfriend the 6505 212 Combo 2x12 amp is $1,199.99?
Quote by The_Boogeyman
If the 6505 is the same amp as the 5150, and I said my price range was 100 dollars to 600 dollars... then why is it on musiciansfriend the 6505 212 Combo 2x12 amp is $1,199.99?

$2000 new, ~$600 used.

Edit: lol, I suck at reading $1200
Quote by Slaytanic6606
We have a pyramid with an all seeing eye, and a menacing eagle with arrows in it's talons.
You have a duck.

PRS Custom 24
Peavey Windsor + 2x12
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
Last edited by Gheppetto at May 3, 2008,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh oops! You're right, tube preamp

Either way.

Preamp tube in poweramp section actually
Quote by Horlicks
Preamp tube in poweramp section actually

It's mainly a preamp tube, but I think it's used as a poweramp tube in some (small) amps? Not 100% sure about that tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
if its just for practice get a 75w line6 spider jam. i have the 75w spider iii and its amazing.... but mostly cuz of active emgs. so if youve got the extra dough the spider jam is great
Quote by Line6Schecter
if its just for practice get a 75w line6 spider jam. i have the 75w spider iii and its amazing.... but mostly cuz of active emgs. so if youve got the extra dough the spider jam is great

Sadly enough, he is right if you are just practicing. But not 75. More like 10-15 if you are just parcticing.

If you plan on gigging, the 5150/6505 suggestion earlier sound like the way you should be going.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--