So I've been thinking of becoming a waiter. Seems like the ideal job for a college student like myself. Flexible hours, tips, ect.
Just wanted to ask any of you who have been waiters what the job is like. Give me all the details, the good and the bad. I just want to know what to expect.
Dude I just got back from work and I'm a waiter at a local restaurant!

BY ALL MEANS DO IT. It's exhausting depending on where you work, but it's really great. The tips are great. I'm a waiter only once a week, I do phones and register the other days, and I still make good money. The only thing is that I still get paid minimum wage even though I should get paid less because I'm a tipped worker. My boss pays us minimum wage anyway. But yeah, you'll really like the extra cash in your pocket from the tips. You're going to want patience, because face it, some people are just plain assholes, but it's a fun job. It's not that hard to get used to, because you'll be constantly taking tables and after about your 10th or 15th one, it will just click and you'll get into the routine. Any other questions just ask.
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
Dude I just got back from work and I'm a waiter at a local restaurant!

BY ALL MEANS DO IT. It's exhausting depending on where you work, but it's really great. The tips are great. I'm a waiter only once a week, I do phones and register the other days, and I still make good money. The only thing is that I still get paid minimum wage even though I should get paid less because I'm a tipped worker. My boss pays us minimum wage anyway. But yeah, you'll really like the extra cash in your pocket from the tips. You're going to want patience, because face it, some people are just plain assholes, but it's a fun job. It's not that hard to get used to, because you'll be constantly taking tables and after about your 10th or 15th one, it will just click and you'll get into the routine. Any other questions just ask.

Everyone always tells me that some people can be assholes. I work as a cashier/customer assistance person at a walgreens and I know alot of people are just plain dicks. Something tells me though that people get really asshole-ish when it comes to their food. What's the worst thats happened to you?
Quote by Masamune
Everyone always tells me that some people can be assholes. I work as a cashier/customer assistance person at a walgreens and I know alot of people are just plain dicks. Something tells me though that people get really asshole-ish when it comes to their food. What's the worst thats happened to you?

Well, where I work, it's a locally owned restaurant, not a chain restaurant. So the boss lets us stick up for ourselves. I've been working there since October, but I'm really good friends with a girl who has been waitressing there for over 10 years. The stuff that really ticks her off is when people try and take out things that aren't her fault on her, but trust me, you'll come across a lot more nice people than mean people.

I would say that the worst that's happened to me is just people in a bad mood with bad attitudes. Just learn to smile. "Killing them with kindness" also works if you know what I mean.
Pissed.
Last edited by Unofficial at May 1, 2008,