I just turned old enough to get a job with my cousin at her work and im hopefully going to run into some money soon. i just joined a new band and when i showed up to practice wiht my 50watt combo amp they looked at me like i was retarded. their families are rich as hell and they all have really nice gear... pretty embarrasing really. i was thinking about getting a new amp with the money that i earn. the problem is, i have little knowledge about amps. combos, half stacks, full stacks, whatever the hell else there is... talk to me about them. what should i consider buying?
its a christian metal band, and at the rate that we're progressing we're probably going to be gigging pretty soon. and im not too sure about my budget yet.
First off, who gives a crap what gear you got (unless its a spider III) ? I hope they didn't give you any flack about it, and you shouldn't be embarrased about it at all, secondly, I'd strongly recommend going for a tube, and maybe a combo to start with, so Peavey Valveking 112 might do the trick ?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Last edited by Awaken at May 2, 2008,
apparently they give a crap about what gear i have. they dont think its gunna do good enough at the gigs we're gunna be playing.
What sort of money are we talking? And some young, immature people will laugh at anything that's not a 100W half-stack, I'm willing to bet their gear looks impressive but is actually utter garbage!

Really your best bet is a small valve combo, between 15W and 50W maximum with a single 12" speaker. If the band still 'look at you like you're retarded', screw 'em, they're clearly childish arseholes with no clue about tone. Good all-round amps for a medium/low budget include the Traynor YCV40 ($600), Peavey ValveKing 112 ($430 new / $200ish used), Fender Blues Junior ($430), Peavey Bandit 112 (approx $150 used).

That's only a small selection but it depends on your budget and the styles you play...
thanks for the advice, but i doubt any 15 watter would be acceptable.
Why? In 2006 I gigged two or three nights a week with a 15 watter, one of the best amps I've ever used. In fact my dream amp - which I'm hoping to get next year! - is the 18W Budda Superdrive.

By the way, also look into the Crate Palomino V16/V32, don't know why I missed that one out.
well i'll give you the know how of what types of amps there are. first you got your combo amps which, are for me, great stuff. doesn't take much muscle to move them and takes up less space which is almost a blessing if your goin' to be visiting different places in one week. IE lugging a half stack is great but loading it up, playing the gig, loading it back out then (if your like me) putting it in your room or where your sleeping and loading it back on and repeating the process the next day is very tiring, so combos really help you in that department. half stacks give you the one thing that most combos can't really give you, Clarity and superb "breathing room" for tone and effects. depending on what kind of head you have whether it be a marshall 50 watt jcm or a lame 100 watt hd spider II head having that four 10-12 inch speaker cab really makes a difference in clarity and distortion as oppose to a one or two speaker combo amp. Unless you want to go all out a full stack is just a suped up version of what i described for the half stack but louder and heavier and a little more costly. since you play in a "metal" band i would assume that you really wouldn't use that many effects so i can safely guess from there that the combo amp would be your best bet. my opinion for your amp would be to save up and grab either a mesa, jvm marshall, those new spider valves from Line 6 or krank... but i'm not to sure if they still have combo amps if not id go for the peavy.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Hart_Attack, good post. I think there's rarely, if ever, a good reason to buy a halfstack. you'll get a different sound out of a 4x12 cab and a lot more 'air' but unfortunately 90% of people who buy a head and cab buy it because they think it'll be louder, or make them look cool. That's why the woeful Marshall MG and Crate Flexwave halfstacks are so popular, they're marketed to impressionable young kids and people who haven't yet learned any better. In fact, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they're what Vol=11's new bandmates are using, these kids tend to look down on everyone else's gear - never noticing that their guitar tone sounds like a bumblebee trapped in a box of corn flakes...
kyle sounds like you've been doin' this a while haha. but all of us here can agree that the combo is probably the best way to go. tube if you can or go for a roland cube or vox metal valvetronix which are lower 300 bucks.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
kyle sounds like you've been doin' this a while haha.but all of us here can agree that the combo is probably the best way to go. tube if you can or go for a roland cube or vox metal valvetronix which are lower 300 bucks.

Ha, not that long...though funny enough at the moment I'm only on UG to kill some time before catching a ferry - band's about to set off on a short 'tour' round the Isle Of Man. Keeps me busy, so guess I can't complain...

But I hate seeing the big companies trick people into buying crap, god knows I've made plenty of mistakes and it'd be great if someone else could learn from them.

And I agree with the Cube isuggestion if your budget won't extend to a valve amp. Though the Peavey Bandit 112 or Vox AD50VT would probably be my first choice for an ultra-cheap gigging machine.
And I agree with the Cube isuggestion if your budget won't extend to a valve amp. Though the Peavey Bandit 112 or Vox AD50VT would probably be my first choice for an ultra-cheap gigging machine.

well said, there you go vol=11. cheers.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack

well said, there you go vol=11. cheers.

thats what i have right now. sounds like im fine then haha.