Ok, so I am building my custom guitar still even though my thread died I have been busy and have not been able to take pictures, but I will very shortly for you guys, anyway I just recieved my rosewood fretboard and it is way to wide right now and it obviously needs to be cut, how should I go about this, fretboards are the widest at the bolt on joint and not as wide up at the headstock, how small should I go? and cut it before glueing it onto the neck I made which is a 5 piece maple with a strip of walnut down the center.
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
before you glue it, ROUGH cut it (i use a jigsaw) within about 1/8", and then use a file. Leave a little extra room for final finishing. Another option would be to use sticky- backed sandpaper glued to a flat surface instead of the file.
how do i know what width to go to?
You should have everything marked on the board. The end towards the headstock should be as wide as your nut. Normally, the fretboard isn't widest at the bolt- on joint. It extends over the body. If you don't have these things figured out yet, that's a problem. If you haven't drawn a plan yet, you really need to.
I have a plan drawn its just a matter of getting the fret board to the proper width, I did not make a plan with width of fret board because i did not know how wide it should be at each fret, but you know Iam sure I will figure it out, I will just make it so its as wide as the nut on the top and as wide as the neck pocket on the bottom, then its done.