Hi guys. First post!

I just had a question to ask you guys.

I recently purchased a used 1997-1998ish Ibanez RG 550 with upgraded pickups: Evolution Bridge DP159, Evolution Neck DP158, and Evolution Middle ISCV2.

I have a Line 6 Spider II 15watt amp. I played the guitar through the amp, and it just didn't sound as good as I think it should. So I was sort of disappointed, but I kind of thought that maybe it's because the amp isn't good enough to deliver the sound of the pickups. This is the first time I've tried using DiMarzio pickups...they're one of the reasons I got this Ibanez guitar (in addition to all the other features), but I was kind of disappointed. So what do you guys think? Is the sound dude to the amp alone?

I've thought about getting a real tube amp to try out the guitar and see if it sounds better. I've been looking into getting a Peavey ValveKing combo tube amp.. I'll try it out with the guitar before I buy it obviously.. but what do you guys think?
Line 6 spider II....Of course it is your amp you damn 08er

You have a horrible amplifier, get your peavey as soon as possible
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Quote by k1ng_pooh

Be nice to the 08ers.

But, yeah, whatever problems you have with your tone, it probably stems from your amp
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I dont think it should sound THAT bad, if it really does sound bad, I would try the guuitar on a diff amp and see what happens
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Yeah a good tube amp will do wonders, those pickups are more designed for distortion than clean though aren't they?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Quote by k1ng_pooh

07er, ****in troll.

honestly dude, its not the guitar. I'd save up and get a much nicer amp. Not a valveking, its not gonna be that big of a step up imo. I just cant stand the valveking. I'd save your cash, i think you know what you're doing as far as sound, i'd keep the line 6 for practice, it really doesnt matter if you're not gigging at the moment, and work on your chops. then when the money's there, unload on a very very nice amp.

Thanks for all your replies.

So in response to \m/metallica\m/, I've had the Line 6 for about three years now I think.. and because it was my first amp, it was pretty awesome. As I learned more about tone, amps, guitars, etc. and as I improved, I realized that needless to say, you get what you paid for. So I've pretty much tried out all the Spider II can give, and I want a new sound.

So I found out about the Peavey ValveKing. I wanted to get a tube amp, but obviously didn't have loads of money to spend on one. I checked out some reviews and some demos on YouTube and elsewhere, and the amp seemed pretty nice. But, \m/metallica\m/, if you don't think it's that great, would you suggest some tube amps that are nice? I guess I'm on a budget, but could you tell me all the ones that are great regardless of price? I'd appreciate that.

I'm not at the gigging level yet. I did join a band but we're still in the startup stages. So I'm using the Spider II during our practices. It's alright, but like I said, I want a new sound.
amp
spiders are know for ther great distortion
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Argento
Hi guys. First post!

I just had a question to ask you guys.

I recently purchased a used 1997-1998ish Ibanez RG 550 with upgraded pickups: Evolution Bridge DP159, Evolution Neck DP158, and Evolution Middle ISCV2.

I have a Line 6 Spider II 15watt amp. I played the guitar through the amp, and it just didn't sound as good as I think it should. So I was sort of disappointed, but I kind of thought that maybe it's because the amp isn't good enough to deliver the sound of the pickups. This is the first time I've tried using DiMarzio pickups...they're one of the reasons I got this Ibanez guitar (in addition to all the other features), but I was kind of disappointed. So what do you guys think? Is the sound dude to the amp alone?

I've thought about getting a real tube amp to try out the guitar and see if it sounds better. I've been looking into getting a Peavey ValveKing combo tube amp.. I'll try it out with the guitar before I buy it obviously.. but what do you guys think?

A good guitarist can make anything sound good. A good amp can make help sometimes though.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Hmm...

I play blues, blues rock, 80s rock, classic rock...I don't really like metal.. especially the more modern metal.. I do like classic metal though.. a la Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.

I don't really want a super thick, heavy distortion amp.. like the ones used for metal...I just don't know what amp to get.. I'd like to get a tube amp.. but since there are so many and the prices are pretty high..

I've been playing electric for almost 3 years now... so I don't really know too much about amps and everything..
Oh and as for my budget.. I don't really know what to expect.. since I don't know very much about tube amps and all.. but yea the Peavey ValveKing really caught my attention because of its low price considering that it's an all-tube amp.. it sounded pretty sweet judging from the demos I saw on YouTube..What price range are tube amps usually in?
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
Not a valveking, its not gonna be that big of a step up imo. I just cant stand the valveking.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand why they are popular. They sound like a fizzy hybrid amp. I think I would rather have a line 6 then a Valueking.

For cheap tube amps, I think these are all way better then the valveking.
Peavey Windsor Studio 20W
Palomino V16 15W
B-52 AT-112 60-Watt
Peavey Classic 30/112
Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary

I would personally recommend a Marshall DSL401. You could find one used for about $600 or so.

Quote by Argento
it sounded pretty sweet judging from the demos I saw on YouTube.

You really can't go by demos. Especially on youtube.
Last edited by ninja23 at May 3, 2008,
Meh to the DSL401.

Quote by Argento
Hmm...

I play blues, blues rock, 80s rock, classic rock...I don't really like metal.. especially the more modern metal.. I do like classic metal though.. a la Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.

I don't really want a super thick, heavy distortion amp.. like the ones used for metal...I just don't know what amp to get.. I'd like to get a tube amp.. but since there are so many and the prices are pretty high..

I've been playing electric for almost 3 years now... so I don't really know too much about amps and everything..

I would recommend, that since you ARE in Canada, that you check out Traynor amps.
The Traynor YCV50 Blue sounds like a good match for you. Plus, it's made in Canada, so there should be a ton of used models floating around.
You should be able to snag one for around 400-500 bucks.
Quote by k1ng_pooh

Lol@the MG100 in your profile.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

lol nice find. Looks like pot vs kettle, round one.
Quote by timi_hendrix

i think the amp's the problem...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Argento
Hmm...

Methinks a Peavey Classic 30??

Check one out. It does blues and rock tones really well.

Edit ^ or one of those Traynors
I found someone selling a Peavey Bravo on Craigslist.. what are you guys' opinions on the Peavey Bravo? I played it in my high school rock band.. it sounded awesome..
Quote by ninja23
I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand why they are popular. They sound like a fizzy hybrid amp. I think I would rather have a line 6 then a Valueking.

For cheap tube amps, I think these are all way better then the valveking.
Peavey Windsor Studio 20W
Palomino V16 15W
B-52 AT-112 60-Watt
Peavey Classic 30/112
Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary

I would personally recommend a Marshall DSL401. You could find one used for about $600 or so.

You really can't go by demos. Especially on youtube.

Why are they popular? See my sig. Then you'll see that they're not as crap as you make them out to be.
I have same question over here.

I play with Fender Telecaster (lite ash) and Fender Deluxe 85 w amp (solid-state) and my only effect pedal is EHX Big Muff. I think I should invest in tube amp, or what do you guys think? I play in band and we have small gigs.
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to say it, but chances are the only thing good about that amp is the fact that the name looks a lot like the word "laser"...

Check out my band!
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Why are they popular? See my sig. Then you'll see that they're not as crap as you make them out to be.

People are allowed not to like your amp, you know
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by bartdevil_metal

I'm supposed to see they are not crap because you have one???

All I am saying is, they are one of the cheapest 50w 1X12 combos you can get. They go for less then $400 brand new. Thats going to get you into tube amps, but bottom of the barrel ones. Plus I think you are paying some of the money for the name Peavey, so how much money is actually going towards the amp?

And before you start back at me, I know when I bought my Marshall, some of the money I paid went towards the name too.

All I mean is that if you sit down and compare a Valveking to a real amp there is no comparison. You can do much better for a amp under or around $400.

I don't mean to piss you off, I was simple stating my opinion which is what these boards are for, aren't they?
if you ask me the valveking isn't bad for the price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So what do you guys think about the Peavey Bravo 112? This guy's selling it for $325.. seems like a pretty good deal.. I loved playing through it in my high school rock band.. so what do you guys think...besides it not having a lot of headroom...?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, that amp should be loud enough. Do you not like your tone?
Yeah it's loud enough but I don't enjoy my tone so much. I'm ooking for Tiny Terror to test it out currently
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to say it, but chances are the only thing good about that amp is the fact that the name looks a lot like the word "laser"...

Check out my band!
Quote by ninja23
I'm supposed to see they are not crap because you have one???

Sorry, see the link in my sig.

Quote by ninja23
All I am saying is, they are one of the cheapest 50w 1X12 combos you can get. They go for less then $400 brand new. Thats going to get you into tube amps, but bottom of the barrel ones. Plus I think you are paying some of the money for the name Peavey, so how much money is actually going towards the amp?

Actually, you're right. They're pretty damn average stock. If you'd followed the link, It leads to a thread where I recorded some sound samples after I replaced the speaker. What I mean is that the Valveking is a great amp to buy cheap and mod.

Quote by ninja23
And before you start back at me, I know when I bought my Marshall, some of the money I paid went towards the name too.

Actually, I bet a lot more went towards the name than my amp. Marshall are renowned for trading on their name, look at the MG Series.

Quote by ninja23
All I mean is that if you sit down and compare a Valveking to a real amp there is no comparison. You can do much better for a amp under or around $400.

I think that the VK with a speaker swap kills all amps in it's price range and even some above simply for its versatility.

[quote="ninja23I don't mean to piss you off, I was simple stating my opinion which is what these boards are for, aren't they?[/QUOTE"]

Fair enough, maybe I did snap a bit but when people come on here and say that they'd prefer a Spider that really pisses me off. I don't mind someone like beckyjc for example, who says they don't like it and states objectively why.

Quote by \m/metallica\m/
nah dude they're still pretty crappy

Each to his own, I already said they're pretty average stock. I couldn't get a usable tone out of mine.

Quote by timi_hendrix
People are allowed not to like your amp, you know

I'm sorry, but Spider > Valveking is just provocative. I don't really care that people dislike the amp, it's when they mislead others that I get annoyed.

/rant
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at May 4, 2008,
To the TS Argento, I am sorry your thread turned into a valveking hate discussion. I don't want to make it worse. I did post 6 amps that I think you should look into on the first page.

I feel I need to clarify some of the things that were quoted against me.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Actually, I bet a lot more went towards the name than my amp. Marshall are renowned for trading on their name, look at the MG Series.

If you are comparing how much I paid for the name Marshall on my amp, and how much you paid for the name Peavey on your amp then you are right. I really don't think you want to compare a $1400 Marshall head to a $400 Valveking 1X12 combo. The price difference is to far apart. You might have paid $100 for the name Peavey, I might have paid $400. The more the amp is, the more you are going to pay for the name. And please don't compare my amp to the MG series. Nobody is talking about them.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm sorry, but Spider > Valveking is just provocative. I don't really care that people dislike the amp, it's when they mislead others that I get annoyed./rant

Don't get confused, I did not tell him that the Line 6 is better then the Valveking. I said I would prefer a Line 6 to a Valveking, purely for its modeling features. I am currently looking for another amp. A small cheap one that I can take outside and jam out there when we are BBQ'ing or whatever. I would personally take a line 6 over the Valveking for that reason, so don't put words in my mouth.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Actually, you're right. They're pretty damn average stock. If you'd followed the link, It leads to a thread where I recorded some sound samples after I replaced the speaker. What I mean is that the Valveking is a great amp to buy cheap and mod.

Thats the first Time I heard you or anybody talk about modding a VK in this thread. I will admit that swapping out the tubes and speaker will make it a better amp. Now you are talking about another $250 ontop of the $400. Now you are able to get much better amps in that price range. You can mod any amp so I don't think you should consider that when buying one. You should at least have a decent sound to start with before modding. Not have to mod it to be decent.

So to the TS, I am sorry again. I posted some great amps on the first page. I think you should try them out, as well as anything else in your price range, and get what you like the best. It's best to get everyone opinion, but don't listen to anyone but yourself.

Take care and Good luck.
Thanks everyone, especially ninja23.

I've saved your recommendations and after I first read the list, I did some research online for each of the amps. Obviously I haven't tried them out yet, but I will try to find them around town.

So my secondary question to forum members was regarding the Peavey Bravo. I just remember playing it back in my high school rock band, and just wanted some of you guys' thoughts on it. Just wondering.
I have a Valve king head and I play the same type of music u do. I happen to love it to death. i also have a spider 2 and hate it. My main player has dimarzios in it (super dist. and a tone zone) and FOR ME.......it a match made in heaven. Take your guitar to the store and find out for your self. I like my valve king much better than my buddys dual recto. Honest
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!