Poll: Should there be political parties?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should there be political parties?
Yes
20 65%
No
8 26%
Maybe
3 10%
Voters: 31.
I know theres a politics thread but I wanted to put a poll with it.

But what do you think of the concept of politcal parties as a whole, regardless of what country youre from.

I personally dont believe parties should have anything to do with politics as they are nothing but stereotypes. I believe that candidates should run on their own specific beliefs and have no affiliation at all with a certain party. For example on a ballot it should just have everyones name and nothing more next to it.

I was wondering what yall believe is right on this issue.
I got my own life to live,
I'm the one that's going to die
when its time for me to die.
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
-Jimi Hendrix, If 6 was 9
they're a necessary evil. the only thing a political party should serve is getting someone elected to office.
Sent from my iPad.
Poly Sci 101. Democracy could not function effectively without them.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
well, they do serve as a support system for candidates in terms of funding and whatnot, however I strongly disagree with the way some countries have a party system where you essentially vote for a party instead of a candidate and the representatives always follow party lines in voting.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^^Countries, or voters? And if so, which?

^http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger's_law
won't happen, can't happen and work well.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
Last edited by iforgot539 at May 2, 2008,
Quote by iforgot539
Poly Sci 101. Democracy could not function effectively without them.

depends on how you define democracy, a direct democracy would not need political parties.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
depends on how you define democracy, a direct democracy would not need political parties.

I'm sure he meant representational
Yes, they stop each other from making all the decisions

Unless they're naive, such as the case in Hitler's "rise" to power
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Yes there should.

Better question is should there be more than 2 in the U.S.

....duh, yes.

I really dont see how it can be considered a true democracy when there are only 2 parties. thats just one more than not having a choice. Yes there are 3rd parties but they dont have any way of competing with the other two because they dont have enough funding, which is why i think parties and their funding should be done away with.
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
What country was it, Nigeria? They tried to do away with parties and it went all batsh*t. Maybe it wasn't them, it was some developing country.

edit: to post above: I had no idea you posted that, but my wording is perfect as if responding to you.

Good god it's late.
Quote by Joryko
I really dont see how it can be considered a true democracy when there are only 2 parties. thats just one more than not having a choice. Yes there are 3rd parties but they dont have any way of competing with the other two because they dont have enough funding, which is why i think parties and their funding should be done away with.

True, however there is a range of political views within each party, which is why primaries are such a big deal.

Last.fm
^And at local and even state levels, the major parties are far less dominant.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
my sociology teacher said it best:

political parties are the most useless, yet neccessary thing for representative democracy

it makes sense in a really wierd way
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by iforgot539
^And at local and even state levels, the major parties are far less dominant.

deoends on where you are, here it's all democrats and republicans, but there are left and right wing extremists that run under them, as well as moderates and whatnot.

Last.fm
In all honesty, I don't think there is enough diversity between the Republicans and Democrats. Now that may seem crazy, but really, there should be more parties to encourage more diversity.

Don't ask me to explain it. It's late and I'm dozing.......of..f.f..f......zzzzz
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
True, however there is a range of political views within each party, which is why primaries are such a big deal.

I would agree with that for the most part except in a case such as this years US election. Rather than picking between Obama and Clinton who are neck and neck, and both somewhat favored to beat McCain head to head, I would rather just see all three of their names on the ballot. If Obama were to take votes from Clinton or vice versa, then so be it. Right now we have to cut out a candidate in either Obama or Clinton that a lot of people strongly support
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

A "direct" democracy, with every issue decided by a general plebiscite, would also be completely infeasible in any large scale. Basically every democracy in the world is representational.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
In all honesty, I don't think there is enough diversity between the Republicans and Democrats. Now that may seem crazy, but really, there should be more parties to encourage more diversity.

Don't ask me to explain it. It's late and I'm dozing.......of..f.f..f......zzzzz

well, there are several other parties, it's just that no one votes for them in major national elections.

Quote by iforgot539
A "direct" democracy, with every issue decided by a general plebiscite, would also be completely infeasible in any large scale. Basically every democracy in the world is representational.

that depends, given modern communications technology it could very well be feasible.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well, there are several other parties, it's just that no one votes for them in major national elections.

That is why there should be no parties. Without them there would be no 'wasted third party votes.' Everyone could just have a fair shot on their own individual platform.
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
Quote by Joryko
That is why there should be no parties. Without them there would be no 'wasted third party votes.' Everyone could just have a fair shot on their own individual platform.

the problem is the current political infrastructure is based on having at least two parties, and restructuring it would require massive upheaval.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

that depends, given modern communications technology it could very well be feasible.

1. Because of Duverger's law.

2. Politicians have full time jobs managing the government. Average people have their own lives to attend to and neither the time nor the means.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
Quote by iforgot539
1. Because of Duverger's law.

2. Politicians have full time jobs managing the government. Average people have their own lives to attend to and neither the time nor the means.

there are exceptions to Duvergers law.

And yeah, that's given the current size of government bureaucracy, which in the U.S. is far too large, decreasing the amount of bureaucracy and government divisions would make running a direct democracy far more manageable.

Last.fm
^There are exceptions but it's a pretty reliable rule. And I realize that government bureaucracy adds a substantial amount of time, but I still don't believe that direct democracy is possible on any remotely large scale.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Even if it were technically feasible it would be highly ineffective and impractical. Most policy decisions are far to complex for politicians, let alone lay people. Voter apathy would be a huge issue as well, not to mention people will likely act in their interest - not society's.