Hey guys
I am very much a noob when it comes building and customizing so I appreciate any help. Anyway I was looking into making a guitar in the future. Not from scratch but from pieces I buy here and there. I know there are alot of things to take into account, but I wanted to know about how much all this would cost to do and if I am forgetting anything.
I want a telecaster body but routed to fit humbuckers. Not sure If I want a faceplate for it yet though. I would like to see samples of tele's with buckers to make up my mind though so if anyone knows a site I can visit just say. I want a thin neck like the one on my ibanez, I dont know what its called but the neck is real thin and flat. Its an Ibanez RG550 original if that helps. I would like the body to be made of mahogany and the neck of either Maple or Ebony. I want a Tune o matic bridge and one master volume and master tone control and a three way pickup switch. Some Good pickups but I can sort that out myself and I already know pricing for them.
Also I'm not sure about the painting and staining side of things but how much would I have to calculate in for that? And obviously I'll need tuners but Im not really fussed about them.

Lastly Im not sure if I would trust myself to assemble something like this, how hard would it actually be? And how much would it set me back to have it professionally done? Keep in mind I live in Australia and I'lll hav to pay postage for alot of the items I buy.

Thanks guys once again for any help
you could check out warmoth, they give a ton of options although are a bit pricey. (ibanez RG necks are called Wizard necks, but im not sure about yours, since its from '87)
The staining process costs quite a bit, around 200, give or take.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
That will not look like a telecaster
Once you place a tunematic bridge humbuckers and the ibanez neck it will not look like a telecaster.

The neck you want is called the wizard II neck. Ibanez makes an even thinner neck called just "Wizard." I prefer the WIzard II.

Warmoth.com has all that you want, and they can custom route the bodies to fit whatever you want on it.
Well I suck with my hands and Im not very good at that sort of stuff, thats why I'd rather have someone do the individual parts for me. Thanks for the advice about the wizard neck, where would I buy a wizard II (or similar) neck from individually? Btw Im not building a telecaster, I just like the shape of the body, that's all.

Also what do you guys think of the shops on Ebay selling the individual parts? Are they trustworthy and is the stuff ok quality because its quite a bit cheaper?
Quote by matt_moonhead
Well I suck with my hands and Im not very good at that sort of stuff, thats why I'd rather have someone do the individual parts for me. Thanks for the advice about the wizard neck, where would I buy a wizard II (or similar) neck from individually? Btw Im not building a telecaster, I just like the shape of the body, that's all.

Also what do you guys think of the shops on Ebay selling the individual parts? Are they trustworthy and is the stuff ok quality because its quite a bit cheaper?

I've had some stuff off eBay shops like that recently. The parts are fine for the price, and will do their jobs, but remember to get the better of the budget products. Some parts (like truss rods, mounting rings, ferrules, nuts, and knobs) are so basic that they really can't be made badly. Just watch out for anything that's functional, and not structural - bad floating trems, machine heads, pickups, and switches will have you ripping your balls off within a week.

Edit: I don't know about the Wizard II. Scour eBay, just in case one turns up, but most will be a part of a full guitar, which would leave you with a wasted body, or one that's hard to sell. You could try sweet-talking Perry Ormsby into making you a Wizard II profile bolt-on, but I don't think that he makes individual bodies or necks anymore.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at May 2, 2008,