So i'm planning on building a custum guitar, the body from scatch and buying the neck. So what i'm thinking is a Swamp Ash body with maple top and a maple neck with ebony fretboard. The only thing left to decide is the pickups. I have done some look around at the gear of artists who has similar tone to what im looking for. I've found radioheads live guitar are extremly rich and full sounding, that is the sound i woul be looking for for my rythm, for cleans i would like a flat slightly bright and thin sound, and for lead i would basicly what the brightest possible tone.
The best thing of found so far, though i havent heard it, seems to be lace sensor red blue silver. Your thoughts?

Hope you guys can make some sense of that.

Thanks
whats wrong with lace sensor, what should i get for bright pickups, thin in the bridge thick in the neck.
the dimarzio fred is good for harmonics then a duncan jazz in the neck and a ssl1 in the mid
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by GuitarGuitar
whats wrong with lace sensor, what should i get for bright pickups, thin in the bridge thick in the neck.

I just said I've never used them...Don't know anything about them.

And I need to know about your setup...What kind of pickup configurati0o is the guitar going to have?

What kind of amp do you have? Like I said, Radiohead's tone is coming from their Vox AC30's...
I just don't understand why you'd want it to sound thin, I can understand bright but thin is generally negative...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have that set of Lace sensors in astrat of mine. Not as bright as stock pickups but still brighter than humbuckers. I love their sound but maybe not for you? I believe Thome York uses jazzmasters. I'm building a tele/jem/jazzmaster guitar with jazzmaster pickups because I love the neck p'ups rich tone and the bridges treble. I'm using seymour duncan vintages btw.

EDIT: My blue sensor is fairly thick in the neck, but I would still recommend jazzmasters for the sound you want. The lace sensors can handle almost all kinds of music though, from pop to metal
well im going for 3 single coil. And when i say thing a mean the opposite of humbuckers. also i realy like smashing pumpkins gish tone which is a 74' strat i think and i know that the thickness of the sound comes from double tracking but i think i would like it anyway.

also what are some guitars that use similar wood to what im using so i can try some pickups out.
swamp ash? I don't know. Fender make a lite ash strat but I don't know if its swamp ash. It has 3 seymour duncan pickups in so you could try that?
im not trying in to make a fender tone, just exceptioanaly bright and from what ive read swamp ash is the brightest wood behind maple for the body but maple is hard to work with, hardly ever used and almost impossible to get.
Quote by GuitarGuitar
im not trying in to make a fender tone, just exceptioanaly bright and from what ive read swamp ash is the brightest wood behind maple for the body but maple is hard to work with, hardly ever used and almost impossible to get.

Hard ash is brighter (and cheaper)
I am the Radiohead authority in this forum!

Jonny Greenwood uses a Telecaster that he converted to a Plus, because his original had been stolen. He has a Lace Dually Red-Red in the bridge and a Blue in the neck.

Thom uses a ton of guitars, so just google what you like best. Notable guitars are his Jazzmaster, and his Deluxe Tele.

Ed uses primarily a Strat (I believe a David Gilmour signature with Lace Sensors). He also has a Tele, I believe it's an American stock.

Their tone comes from the AC30 and a Fender Deluxe 85 (I believe?).
Jonny has a crapload of effects too, so yeah, its a combination of pickups, amp and effects.

Btw, AC30's go for like $2k nowadays... Mine cost me my car.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
would be closer to 4k in aus but im getting a peavey classic 30 which i understand is bassed on the AC 30. Any way i think ill look up hard ash and ill try and have a go at the jazzmasters and LACE sensors, seems like alot of people use lace.
One more thing what would a guitar made of maple neck through, maple wings and maple neck and fretboard sound like?