i have have my guitar for about month now and iam still learning my chords (i have only just got into it about a week ago) and iam deciding wether to have lesons or not.

is it best to get lessons or try and learn myself. and if i do get lessons is it best to have the main chords learnt already.

also if any1 has any really basic tabs and chords songs (i mean really basic) would you please post them and it will be very much appreciated.

thanks for you help in advance
I think it's quite useful to get a teacher. I didn't, and there were a few technical things I got wrong - eventually I fixed it myself, and my technique is fine now, however it was extra effort that you have to put into changing your foundation of playing, which can be quite annoying.

It's definitely doable to learn guitar without a teacher or anything, but the key in doing so, is to keep questioning what you do and if it's the correct way. Wrong technique can lead to shoddy fretting and vibrato, strain on your hand/arm/elbow and even stuff like carpel tunnel or RSI.
if you really want to learn then take lessons, but if you're not that bothered, being forced is just going to put ou off
Quote by kiyiko
learn youself, being forced to do it will only make you resent it

Or it might be the push he needs.

I prefer having lessons, because I don't have the self-discipline to learn it myself. It is easier to learn if you are being taught. There are some good lessons around on this site by the way.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
If you have no musical background then lessons would be useful. I found them so.

You could have lessons for a while to kickstart you then go solo. I did, ditched teacher last night actually.
i get classical lessons and have for years, and have played electric on the side. by getting taught classical i have learnt heaps of theory, pretty good technique and all that, and have never really needed to teach myself much technique for electric, i have just been able to get tabs learn songs and play them.
i suggest you learn classical, but yeh personal preference so if you think classical music is **** dont listen to what i just said. other wise i recommend it.
Definitely take lessons.

Make sure you get a good teacher though, that makes the difference between win and fail. I went to my first lesson at 12. Paid 50 bucks for him to change my strings and tune my guitar for an hour. Next lessons were in highschool, went a lot better.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
my teacher wouldnt teach me what i wanted (theory) and ony taught me chords. and spent most of my time tending to customers in his store
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
If I could have afforded lessons when I was starting out I would have taken them. Heck, I'd even take a few now if I wasn't so busy.

You won't regret it later if you take them.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER