Im wondering if its a good idea to swap out the bridge pickup in my Epiphone Firebird and drop a Duncan Blackout in instead to give it a more heavy sound but since its passive can I even use these bad boys since they're active? Help?
You can use it, but it's a pain to mix both active and passive's if there's a passive at the bridge.

You'll be changing your pot's & jack & possibly route out a hole for the battery compartment if there's not enough space in the control cavity.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
That sounds pretty lame. Im thinking about just buying a guitar thats active already. Any ideas on decent active guitar?
Im looking at a Schecter Tempest, but I hate to spend so much money just to rip it open.
Whats your budget?
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
I bought a Schecter Tempest Custom, then pulled the Duncan Designed pieces of crap out, and put an EMG 81 & 60 set in from another guitar of mine. It sounds awesome, especially with the 18v mod.

Two things:
1. Installing any pickups (active/passive) is easy as hell,
2. Don't Firebird models use mini humbuckers?
The Firebird has Alnico Classic humbuckers and the Tempest Im looking at comes with active Emgs
Quote by vannaXcurses
The Firebird has Alnico Classic humbuckers and the Tempest Im looking at comes with active Emgs

The Hellraiser model?

Do it.

The Tempests are fantastic for the money, play flawlessly, and sound great with EMGs.
well the whole point is to get the blackouts so is it a waste to buy the schecter and then take out the emgs?
Quote by vannaXcurses
well the whole point is to get the blackouts so is it a waste to buy the schecter and then take out the emgs?

What reasons do you have for wanting to get Blackouts over EMGs?

If you're dead set on Blackouts, you can sell the EMGs on eBay - they'll be in perfect condition, and have decent resale value. I'd urge you to try the EMGs with the 18v mod before casting them aside though.
ok I will! Ive just heard so much hype about the blackouts and how people in the metal community have been making the switch so id like to get em.
Quote by vannaXcurses
ok I will! Ive just heard so much hype about the blackouts and how people in the metal community have been making the switch so id like to get em.

Get to a guitar shop and try some guitars with Blackouts, and some with EMGs. Decide for yourself.
ive played both and i love both i just dont know if its a smart thing to do, thats why i was just gonna customize my firebird.